Wake On Lan plugin (1 Viewer)

Babnik42

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
Home Country
France France
I will have a look at it and get it working with the latest releases. It's been a while since I looked at it.

BrianBojtano

Portal Member
January 15, 2008
Hi Babnik42 :)

Nice to hear, that you will make it working again :D

Just for your information, I installed yesterday the Release MP1.0 RC4 - so the latest one.

It is possible to install the plugin, when you move the dll to one of the predefined subfolders in the plugin folder. You are able to install the plugin afterwards in the configurator and even waking up a remote PC is possible in the configurator :) - So it still seems to work fine. The only problem is, that within the Blue3 skin, the plugin isn't visible when running MP :( - so I think just an update for the skin is necessary here.
I would really appreciate, if you could make it running again inside MP, due to this plugin and the MyPrograms plugin were so far the only chance to use Wake on LAN so far I have noticed in MP - please correct me if there is another solution inside MP - and they are both not working 100% correctly at the moment.

Cheers,
Andre

nikos1671

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Greece Greece
Hi..Is it possible for any dev to integrate this plugin in the mp?It will be nice this plugin to run without user input,exept the setup. example: in a multiseat install this pluging should instaled also any time that user try to watch live tv from his/her server mp must check if server is on or off if its off to sent the magic packet to server and let him wake up,with a nice message to inform the user.again this to the share files like movies etc....
Is this possible????

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
davidegee:
If not I already got a working solution setup for having a button turning on/off a remote PC. It involves multishortcut, poweroff and a simple 2 line batch file

davidegee

Portal Member
January 14, 2008
thanks, but i'm having problems getting my server to hibernate or standby at the moment anyway. It would be good to have a look at what you've done for when i do get it working though.

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
davidegee:
here you go;

first of lets start with the batch script
Code:
echo off
"C:\Program Files\MediaPortal\PowerOff\poweroff.exe" wol -ip 192.168.x.x -subnet 255.255.255.0 -mac SOMEMACADDRESS
"C:\Program Files\MediaPortal\PowerOff\poweroff.exe" shutdown -warn -warntime 10 -msg "Server shutting down" -username PCNAME/USERNAME -password xxx -remote 192.168.x.x -quiet

A couple of things to explain here;
* This script expects you have poweroff installed within the Mediaportal directory see the bit;
"C:\Program Files\MediaPortal\PowerOff\poweroff.exe"
* This script does two things in chronological order;
1) Throw out a magic packet to WOL the remote PC in question
2) Call the shutdown function on the remote PC. This is kinda ignored when WOL'ing the PC, at least for me. WOL'ing takes some time and b that time the batch script should be finished.

To have this script work you need to install poweroff on the remote machine as a service. Configure it's password.
Next you need poweroff on the machine calling the remote shutown/wakeup and change all relevant fields in the batch script.

To create a button within MP use multishortcut and point it to the batch file you have created, enjoy!

Ausir

Portal Member
January 12, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
This seems to be what I'm looking for, maybe.

I have a server running Ubuntu 8.04 with my media on. I want to wake it up, either automated whenever I start my htpc or comes out of hibernation/stand-by, or by using a plugin bound to a key on my remote. If using a plugin it would be more WAF if it had a popup window explaining what's happening (although she rarely reads any popups, just clicks away...).

The plugin wouldn't even have to be MP-integrated as I can bind shortcuts to my iMon remote and then bind that remote key to my Harmony multiremote/setup. But I prefer to run a minimum of programs on my htpc.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Wake On Lan plugin

My wish would be settings inside MePo giving the ability to configure WOL-Targets for certain functions - e.g. videos, music or even better "per share" configured.
    It should be quite easy, because WOL functionality is already included and used for the TV-Server.
    For the time I use an alternative: Hibernate Trigger. This is a very small tool that executes a WOL script to eake up my NAS whenever a HTPC is started. I added the same WOL-script in the Autostart so it is also triggered when doing a cold boot.
    Works fine, but means of course all NASses are always up whenever a HTPC is running - not only, if used.
    Link: hxxp://www.softpedia.com/developer/Nate-DeSimone-35043.html

So if any developer is able to integrate this in Mepo this would be fine - and I would also appreciate a working WOL-plugin (to be back on topic), that at least gives a manual way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom