Want to upgrade my HTPC (1 Viewer)

joshcrd

Portal Member
March 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

Just after some help on how to upgrade my HTPC. I find navigating through the menu in meadia portal to be slow, loading large movie files takes a while. Once they are playing its okay a little jumpy every now and then. I'm happy to spend the money just want to really make it a lot more powerful so its more enjoyable to use.
Here are my current parts;

ASUS E45M1-I-DELUXE M-ITX Motherboard
Hauppauge HVR2200 MCE PCIe Dual Hybrid
Silverstone SG05 Black Cube with 450W
G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003
SSD to run windows and mediaportal (cant remember which brand but I dont think this is the problem)

I'm thinking of maybe buying a new motherboard/CPU and GPU, maybe i5 or i7
Any suggestions without having to change any other parts

joshcrd

Portal Member
March 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
okay but I want it to be good for a few years, dont mind spending the extra $ for an i5 or i7
which parts above would you remove, and what would you replace them with?

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    i3 should be fine, the additional power of an i5/i7 would be wasted unless your HTPC isn't a dedicated unit (using for something else) - the GT430 rocks BTW!
    64bit Win7 + 8Gb should give you more than enough oomph for the foreseeable...
    might be worth posting on the MP2 thread, that might help too...

joshcrd

Portal Member
    March 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i3 should be fine, the additional power of an i5/i7 would be wasted unless your HTPC isn't a dedicated unit (using for something else) - the GT430 rocks BTW!
    64bit Win7 + 8Gb should give you more than enough oomph for the foreseeable...
    might be worth posting on the MP2 thread, that might help too...

Thanks so that's all I need to buy and it's compatible with the rest of my gear? Should I spend the extra $20-30 and get a 2gb gt440?

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Nope - the 430 is great - the 440 is a speed upgrade, if you go that way make sure you get the 1Gb version (or of you can find one the 3Gb version), but I think it's unnecessary.
    You'll also need a new mobo, + proc (the memory should be fine but make sure you check it!) - the rest should be fine

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    i3 should be fine, the additional power of an i5/i7 would be wasted unless your HTPC isn't a dedicated unit (using for something else)
    That's true... excerpt for one thing. If you want to use MPExtented to stream TV/Video to e.g. aMPdroid an i3 could be a bit to poor to get the real-time recoding to work properly. If you don't want to use this single feature an i3 is more than enough. Normally (in combination with a GT430) a Sandy Bridge Pentium G or Dual Core Celeron is enough for all MP things.

joshcrd

Portal Member
    March 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thanks for the replies, I'm still learning about building PC's

the ASUS E45M1-I-DELUXE M-ITX Motherboard I have currently has GPU and CPU integrated
    are there any others like this available that are a lot more powerful. I don't mind spending the money, I just want a mini itx motherboard with integrated CPU and GPU. Not worried about overkill either, with hardware I would rather be over-spec than just enough to get by

The one I have currently plays most media well, large 1080p files like Avatar are a bit jumpy, also navigating through the skin and all media takes a while to begin playing once I hit the play button

Any suggestions on an all in one mini-itx motherboard with integrated GPU/CPU, like mine above but with much higher specs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom