[Usability] WatchDog improvements (2 Viewers)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    You mean : submenu .... :whistle:

i think when i press the button "proceed" for collecting logs

when i use the submenu, it don't work too.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but all files available inside the archives, are the same than previous.
    what change for you ?
    Nothing has changed for me. This is the first time I'm looking at the code, and the first time I'm seeing the latest changes (power menu etc.). I'm trying to review and suggest improvements.

now, this one are inside an proper menu
    Yes, if the power options are to be kept, it seems right to have them in a sub-menu. However, I would have thought that all of the options that you're showing in the screenshot (under "manage TV server") are "actions" rather than "tools".

and if user need to use it, it can do.
    Yes, I understand.

When you have a remote access interface for a service that runs with elevated privileges (ie. like the new watchdog service for the server), you need to think carefully about every interface and function that is accessible. Every function can be used by anybody. Every function is a possible security issue. This is why I am asking if these power management functions are really wanted and needed.

In general, from the first time that I read this thread I was not convinced that extending MediaPortal Watchdog tool is the best/right solution for collecting TV Server log files. However, I was happy to wait and see the results and hear other opinions. Now it seems like additional complexity has been added for the benefit of few people who prefer to avoid using RDP/TeamViewer etc., and so I'm more convinced that a different solution would be more appropriate.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    This is why I am asking if these power management functions are really wanted and needed.
    your suggestion is :
    add the choice of user to install or not this service ? Or, add this setting inside TVE configuration ( like 3rd part check tab ) ?
    i don't know the complexity for coding GUI for remote watchdog.
    with option :
    Power option allowed :
    [ ] Retstart
    [ ] Power Off
    [ ] Sleep
    Apply and restart service.

of few people who prefer to avoid using RDP/TeamViewer etc
    one example :
    i have issue on my HTPC living room. you want take log, because MM ask you for send it.
    myself i have these keyboard :
    thumb_12063.jpg

so not easy for manage my TV + RDP session on TVserver.
    Whaooo you can do, all you need with Watchdog. so no need to go on my Desk, all maintenance option is available in one tool.

would have thought that all of the options that you're showing in the screenshot (under "manage TV server") are "actions" rather than "tools".
    why not, was more for keep the original action, and "tools"" is more for Advanced user.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Nothing has changed for me. This is the first time I'm looking at the code, and the first time I'm seeing the latest changes (power menu etc.). I'm trying to review and suggest improvements.

Can you share your idea how can the user collect the logs as easy as now with the new watchdog?

When you have a remote access interface for a service that runs with elevated privileges (ie. like the new watchdog service for the server), you need to think carefully about every interface and function that is accessible. Every function can be used by anybody. Every function is a possible security issue. This is why I am asking if these power management functions are really wanted and needed.

Agree with you. That was not my idea. I just coded it. :p

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Agree with you. That was not my idea. I just coded it. :p
    nobody, says me, was dangerous :p
    but thank for coding it. idea for do this more safely ??
    except :
    create a GUI for this service, for enable setting wanted.
    add an key or password in connection
    , i don't know, how we(you) can do

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    You mean : submenu .... :whistle:

i think when i press the button "proceed" for collecting logs

when i use the submenu, it don't work too.

I pushed a commit with some more logs. Please build it and try again. Do not forget to upload the watchdog log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom