Web Browser Plugin (2 Viewers)

moullas

Portal Pro
January 15, 2005
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
some thoughts...

2 words: Tabbed Browsing

also on the subject... one way of handling popups is like the Firefox tabbed browser preferences extention, that allows the default handling of popups to open in a new tab instead of a new window, as i think tabbed navigation should be easily handled in the MP enviroment style

Also, some thought should be put into how you can select in-page links *easily* using a remote

Btw, imo using Firefox to integrate the browser should give a better end-user experience as far as dependencies are concerned.. imagine all the different OS combinations and patch levels of IE among all the systems MP users are working on.

Well.. my .02c :)

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    moullas said:
    some thoughts...

2 words: Tabbed Browsing

also on the subject... one way of handling popups is like the Firefox tabbed browser preferences extention, that allows the default handling of popups to open in a new tab instead of a new window, as i think tabbed navigation should be easily handled in the MP enviroment style

Also, some thought should be put into how you can select in-page links *easily* using a remote

Btw, imo using Firefox to integrate the browser should give a better end-user experience as far as dependencies are concerned.. imagine all the different OS combinations and patch levels of IE among all the systems MP users are working on.

Well.. my .02c :)

I don't think the mozilla activeX control can do tabbed browsing. There might be way to program it using the activeX control though.

I like the url idea as well. I invision that top peice looking like the top bar, only containing web browser buttons.

For reference here is the Mozilla ActiveX project page:
    http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
    Can anyone help with graphics?

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    civikdude said:
    devo said:
    Can anyone help with graphics?

Might want to PM theboxhead. He's putting together a really slick user interface and maybe can incorporate your web plugin for its premiere. Check out the topic New Skin Idea, Pro looking for an idea of the work in progress.

Aaron

I love that skin :D I will contact him although I don't want to bog him down with extra work.

What about someone for Blue 2 ...this is still the default skin and very nice looking.

mattbullis

September 14, 2005
    Sesam.tv

I just checked out the sesam.tv demo, their browser is sweet. It has a very clear box when highlighted and the arrows work very well for navigation.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Re: Sesam.tv

mattbullis said:
    I just checked out the sesam.tv demo, their browser is sweet. It has a very clear box when highlighted and the arrows work very well for navigation.

Is this it?

screen_internet.jpg

Can you screenshot the actual browser?

critifer

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2005
    Re: Sesam.tv

Devo - much like this shot here, large - organized simple - readable.....

devo said:
    mattbullis said:

Is this it?

screen_internet.jpg

Can you screenshot the actual browser?

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Preview

I had the time to take a good stab at creating this plugin on the weekend.

Here are some preview screenshots, hope you like them :)

Features so far:
    • Web browsing using the Mozilla rendering engine
    • Custom preferences to disable dialogs & popups for htpc use
    • Custom style sheet to highlight links easier
    • Progress bar and status of loading web pages (like IE and Mozilla)
    • Enter url button, page title display
    • Basic browser buttons, back, forward, refresh, stop

Things to be done:
    • Graphics for the browser toolbar and status bar ( I picture something like the BlueTwo top bar for this, help needed :) )
    • Toggling keys between browser toolbar and browser
    • Add bookmark functionality
    • ???

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    This looks awesome!! Can't wait for the real thing. :lol:

I thought I'd offer up a few suggestions, let me know what you think...

1. Remove the entire second row that displays the site name (page title display). I believe the real-estate of the screen is at a premium during web browsing and that the area might be better used to display web content. What are others' thoughts on this?

2. Provide an option to autohide the "topbar" (again, for more screen space). Just an idea.

3. Display a preliminary page when selecting this module from the home screen. The screen would look very similar to many of the other packaged modules, where a selection would first have to be made between 1) going directly to the internet 2) selecting a stored bookmark from a list of all bookmarks appearing on that same page. Also, a sort button for sorting the bookmarks by name and date, ascending and descending, would be nice.

4. Ability to read in the bookmarks from a directory defined in setup (exactly as Internet Explorer does, *.url files, which handles folders as well).

Regards,
    Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom