WebBrowser in MP (1 Viewer)

MissSophie

Portal Member
July 16, 2004
I just started using MP and wanted to know if there was a way to have a webbrowser in MP, thanks!

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
June 17, 2004
Crailsheim
If somebody could "port" simplebrowser to Mediaportal, I'd love that. The program works standalone, but the keyboard shortcuts cannot be reconfigured without myhtpc. If that would happen, one could simply use that browser from within MP. Don't know about the license status of simplebrowser, though.

J

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    It would be creat that we could have simple browser on MP

Advantages:
    1. AFAIK simple browser require .NET -> it should be possible to integrate to MP
    2. I really like the idea of simple browser had

Problems
    1. I don't know how tocontact author of simplebrowser
    2. No sources avalable or at least not in GPL, again AFAIK
    3. Not directx software. To be pure mediaportal plugin display should be handled with directx. It is hard to explain but i hope you understand what i mean.
    4. We need capable dev for this

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Its not hard to create a web browser using .NET (with the help of winforms), but the problem is getting navigation to work correctly, i.e. allowing people to navigate the links and enter in form fields etc. The IE ActiveX control doesn't really cater for this, unless you use some hacks. Also, the IE ActiveX control has problems with zooming in to webpages, it zooms for some pages, but not for others (I think it depends on whether CSS or the font tags were used to define font size, and also how the font sizes are defined).

I doubt the author of simplebrowser will help your cause though - he is now a developer for Meedio, and that plugin has been ported over to Meedio now. The source code remains closed. You can of course decompile simplebrowser using Reflector, but I don't think that's very ethical.

Sam

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    Can you post url or screenshot of "simplebrowser" ? I've just done a search in google but link are broken for url or screenshot. Only viable thing I've found are in python...

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    One thing I allways missed in simplebrowser was the zoom. You could set a zoom factor for all pages, but this was fixed then. don´t know if this is still the case.

screenshot:

this.jpg

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Doesn't the online content plugin display web pages, ive looked at the code and it uses the mozilla activeX control but I have tried it.

If it does then all we need to do is create a new plugin and use the same idea.

I wouldn't mind helping do this as I would use it very often.

I like the layout of the simple browser too.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    tomtom21000 said:
    One thing I allways missed in simplebrowser was the zoom. You could set a zoom factor for all pages, but this was fixed then. don´t know if this is still the case.

screenshot:

<image removed to save screenspace>

Wow! The screenshot reminds me of WebTV, I always thought WebTV (now MSNTV) had the BEST interface of any TV based browser out there. Too bad MS never released it to be used on MCE. Well actually tto bad no one hasn't come up with a opensource browser that is just like WebTV. The user interface was really really good.

Mike

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tomtom21000

Have been using simplebrowser with myHTPC and zoom in/out was possible.
    A webbrowser in MP would be great.
    Don't know if someone is working on a webbrowser, but using simplebrowser would
    help 'til MP has it's own webbrowser.

Regards
    Ralph

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    devo said:
    Doesn't the online content plugin display web pages, ive looked at the code and it uses the mozilla activeX control but I have tried it.

If it does then all we need to do is create a new plugin and use the same idea.

I wouldn't mind helping do this as I would use it very often.

I like the layout of the simple browser too.

I created the Online Content plugin, though i haven't had time to update it recently.

It uses the IE ActiveX control. I tried the mozilla one, but it didn't support the new HTMLDocument2 object, so I couldn't zoom properly.

It works by loading a winforms dialog over the DirectX MP environment. As its loaded by MP though, it can fully communicate with MP.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread