WebMediaPortal From Outside Of Your Home (1 Viewer)

stirlinghart

Portal Pro
July 22, 2011
Hi Guys
I was reading up on webmediaportal. It says that I connect via http://localhost:8080/ but my question is, if I try to connect to it from say another town. What url do I type in? Do I still have to vnc my machine or use teamviewer etc and then use the interface url?

Thanks in advance :)

Fafnir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Guys
    I was reading up on webmediaportal. It says that I connect via http://localhost:8080/ but my question is, if I try to connect to it from say another town. What url do I type in? Do I still have to vnc my machine or use teamviewer etc and then use the interface url?

Thanks in advance :)
    Hello Stirlinghart.

There is a very similar thread in the aMPdroid forum: Click here
    There are several thing you need. The main points are:
    1. Setting up your PC firewall to allow access from internet
    2. Setting up your router to allow access from the internet
    3. Order and set up a DynDNS. Reason: Your internet provider renews your WAN IP address in certain cycles. This means you need a static address for access from the internet. This is achieved by a function inside your router, which reports a change in WAN IP to an external server at a DynDNS service, e. g. DynDNS.org (I don't use them). The DynDNS provider gives you a static web address like www.what-ever-is-your-DNS.xx and forwards any request to that address to your WAN IP, so internet access can work.
    4. Set up WebMP with user and maybe port change for security reasons.
    Sounds more complicated than it is. Try it and you will see...

Bon voyage, Fafnir

Fafnir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Stirlinghart.
    Sry for late reply. What you need is a Dynamic Domain Nameserver (DynDNS).

1. Let's say the address is www.home-media-access.cn
    2. In your router you have forwarded the external port 4711 to the port 8080 to the IP address of your mediacenter, e. g. that IP is 192.168.178.66.

What now happens is: you enter the target address into the browser adress line like www.home-media-access.cn:4711 and you end up on your MPextended webinterface, because your router forwards this address to the IP above, which would be like 192.168.178.66:8080 (which is the same like the localhost:8080.

Good luck, Fafnir.

Last edited:

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @Cam

It all depends on what type router you have on the instructions. If you could provide more information i am sure someone in the forums can help depending on your router.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @Cam

It all depends on what type router you have on the instructions. If you could provide more information i am sure someone in the forums can help depending on your router.

I have a SMC model SMCD3G Router, if that helps
    It's through Comcast Business Class.

I have AmpDroid up and running and it works great!!

Thanks for help

Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom