WebMP access over the Internet (1 Viewer)

goughy

Portal Member
February 26, 2011
Home Country
Australia Australia
I think I'm having something similar to the original poster. I can't access webmp and I think part of it is because my port 8080 is closed. I've set up port forwarding on my router for that port. And until a recent system upgrade and reinstall I used ipimp for access outside my lan and it worked. Last night I tried the link in the above post and it told me port 8080 was closed.

I have mpextended and webmp 0.5.1 installed, and IIS. They did their windows firewall stuff, but I've also added rules to allow ports 8080, 80, 4322, 8017. And I've now got windows firewall turned off, but it still says port 8080 closed. Ampdroid works fine within my lan, set it up using the qr code from wifi remote.

We also have a dyndns address that I used with ipimp. That is still set up within our router. But neither trying to access webmp using both it, and the pc's address works.

Just wondering if anyone has any other tips/suggestions. I'm pretty noobish with this stuff, I tend to just hammer along until things work.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you forward port 8080 in your router to the server running WebMP?

goughy

Portal Member
    February 26, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes. I've set a fixed local address within the router for my media center pc, and have set the port forward for that address.

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Something to consider before pulling your hair out over suspected router or MPExtended issues: ISPs, especially non-conventional ones, are increasingly giving their subscribers firewalled and/or private IP addresses making external access impossible without changes on the ISP's side.

Sasha

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hmm, that sounds correct. Are you testing from outside your LAN? Does WebMP work with the local IP address?

EDIT: Also, I've split out your problem to a new thread as it's probably unrelated to the previous problem.

Last edited:

goughy

Portal Member
    February 26, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Oxan, Thanks for that. I wasn't sure about the subject, and didn't want to waste starting a new thread if one was close enough.

I've tested it using https://localhost:8080 and that worked fine. Just checked again and all's good there.

These are the sort of things I've set or tried. As a test I just set up remote access to our router with a specific port. I then accessed our router from outside our network (via phone with wifi turned off) using https://dyndns address:port and got into our router.

I have tried to access the pc with webmp etc installed using it's actual ip address, but mostly I'm just trying with our dyndns address:port. In my router I have that pc setup with a fixed address. Then I have port forwarding setup for that pc address, port 8080 with private port set to 80
    I have tried with windows firewall turned on and off (and have set exceptions in windows firewall for ports 8080, 80, 8017 and 4322, even though I think the install did that stuff correctly too). I have also tried with my routers firewall turned off as well, all to no avail. In all cases I get 'webpage not available'. All tests have been done from my phone or tablet with wifi turned off.

So I think that's all the steps I've used, or things I've tried. Just thought if I outlined them to you you might see if I've missed anything.

Just more backstory; A few days ago I upgraded my system and I ended up having to do a full re-install. Prior to that I was running mp 1.3a and prior to that was running mp 1.2.3stable. Both of those had ipimp set up, and in both cases it was working fine, and I had used it successfully within the last few weeks (to remote set some recordings). When I re-installed windows I decided to give 1.3b a go but found it unstable for me, so I removed it and decided this time to just go with 1.2.3 stable. Don't know if any of that is relevant or not?

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom