Weird file deletion? (1 Viewer)

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Using MP 1.12.0 final, with MP-TV Series.

The PC with MP installed on it was already shutdown, I have my TV Series on a portable USB drive for now. In the root folder is a folder TV, and then inside that is all my series.
I had some episodes for Top Gear I wanted to add, and a couple of other series I wanted to add. Took out the drive, whilst the PC was off, connected it to my laptop, moved the files across, connected it back to the PC.

Switched it on, installed "BBC Weather" from the Extension Manager, forgot to go into TV Series to update whatever. Started MP, about half a minute later it crashed. So I then uninstalled BBC Weather and then I thought of going into TV Series to update the files.

Went into it, clicked on "Update Media Info" (only new files) but nothing new seemed to have been added. Used the File explorer and the files I had added on the drive aren't there any more, none of them. Not the new episodes, not the 2 new series.

Any ideas, please?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country

snip........ connected it to my laptop, moved the files across, connected it back to the PC. ...........snip

File transfer from laptop was not committed to USB drive - only explanation that makes any sense.

BBC Weather - do not install, it will not work, the BBC API moved a long way since last update to plugin - sadly.

TTFN - JCMP

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country

snip........ connected it to my laptop, moved the files across, connected it back to the PC. ...........snip

File transfer from laptop was not committed to USB drive - only explanation that makes any sense.

BBC Weather - do not install, it will not work, the BBC API moved a long way since last update to plugin - sadly.

TTFN - JCMP
    RE BBC Weather, I figured it was working fine since it was in the Extension Manager, and the settings for not showing compatible/unstable plugins is checked. Well, I know now, thanks :)

RE drive, what do you mean by committed? Before this HTPC I was using the WD Media Player and this was the only method I ever used for file transfer across to that drive. I have used that drive for nearly 2 years (without any issues) and this file transfer method for over 7 years (without any issues). Only thing I can relate it to is something to do with MP? Either MP itself, or a plugin/extension?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi

Committed as in the OS had not closed out the drive and finalised the update of the folders - not aware of ANYTHING in MePo itself that could result in loss of files unless you explicitly delete the entries via TVSeries - i.e delete from Database & Disk and I'm sure that does not delete folders - and nothing in report indicates you took any action to delete anything.

Other options - file renamer [no idea if you use it perhaps which failed due to crash [outlandish guess]?

Ref: BBC Weather - it's the API to the BBC that's out of date, I think the plugin still 'works' but it has no effective back end so is useless in essence.

Cheers - J.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Hmm, I'm sure everything said it was ok and I even remove my USB drives from the OS properly, ie use the taskbar rather just yank it out. I'm pretty sure all actions had completed.

I did use a file renamer (FileBot) but that was before I had transferred the data across. It's a mystery this one.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Technically, this is known as 'stuff happens' :oops: I expect everyone on this forum has been there at some point:mad:

TTFN - J.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Used the File explorer and the files I had added on the drive aren't there any more, none of them.
    Two possibilities occurred to me when I read this. The first has already been explained by @JimCatMP. The other concerns userids and passwords.

If the USB disk is formatted as an NTFS disk, the files on it have security information, which includes ownership info. If the userid and password that you use on your laptop are identical to the userid and password that you use on your HTPC, the HTPC should be able to see the files. But if you use different userids, or the same userids but different passwords, or don't use a userid on your HTPC, Windows will think that the files belong to a different user, and prevent you from seeing them. You can probably fix this by changing the ownership of the files, or by changing the HTPC userid to have administrator privileges.

Note: I am not a Windows expert, so I am not sure that this is correct. But it may be something for you to investigate?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    That's not correct. Windows would in such cases simply block the file access but will certainly not hide them.

Another option, really grasping here, files have had hidden bit set on them - so they are there after all?

Cheers - J.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As you said: "stuff happens". I would not spend more time on this unless it happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom