What about CI+ ? (1 Viewer)

Are there tunercards available with CI+?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Nindustries

Portal Member
May 31, 2013
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hello, i'm new to MP but already liking it!

I live in Belgium, where one is obliged to use a company's decoder when not using satellite.
However, they are (finally!) going to sell DTV CI+-cards here, so maybe I can finally build my htpc setups.
How is the market for CI+-cards actually? I can't find any tv tuners with ci+ support .. Televisions are going to implement those CI+ slots apparently, so why can't the tv tuner brands?

It doesn't matter what restrictions there are, I still want to get rid of this ugly decoder.
FYI, my cable provider is Telenet.

Greetings,
Nindustries

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    It's not allowed to have CI+ compatible Tuner cards as in PC the restrictions CI+ has, could not be guaranteed. CI+ is really bad for users, only has disadvantages compared to CI. But the broadcast companies want it as they can have the complete control over your personal media... So every sold CI+ is bad for all users in the world. Normally not a single Ci+ decoder card should be sold worldwide, if all users are smart enough to see what's going on...
    But as there are lots of not that smart people all over the world, the companies could force such bullshit to be "normal".

In PC you can use most tuner cards with CI support to view CI+ content. But you need a special CAM that is capable of decoding CI+ cards and completely ignore all restrictions CI+ has... If this is legal in your country I can't tell you...

Nindustries

Portal Member
    May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    sadly.. the few cable providers/ISPs (they are the same people) really have a monopoly here in Belgium.
    I wished the cards were a good initiative, but nope.. :/

Thanks for your response tough
    ---------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: CI+ cards are confirmed for 24th of June, SmartCard with CI+ module will cost 69eu.
    There will be noo limitation on recording and all 75 channels can be viewed.
    Also, the possibility to order more channels exists. Good news, no?
    Taken from Dutch page: http://www.tik.be/eindelijk-ci-bij-telenet

Last edited:

DimitriC

July 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi.
    In PC you can use most tuner cards with CI support to view CI+ content. But you need a special CAM that is capable of decoding CI+ cards and completely ignore all restrictions CI+ has... If this is legal in your country I can't tell you...

Which tuner cards and especially, which cam would that be?

Thanks

radical

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Every Tunercard with an CI.

You Need an Special Cam like (AFAIK) Unicam and Maxcam.

Last edited:

DennisOlof

Portal Member
    February 28, 2013
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Simple, the company's want CI+ to prevent or stop "card sharing". That is the main reason.

However as IPTV is becoming more and more popular, where they use software encryption, CI+ and all the problems with smartcards are gone. At least for the broadcasters. For us users, not so good, unless you could get additional boxes (like additional smartcards), and that is cheap. People are not going to care. But as of now, that does not seem to be the case. So CI+ is bad, and in my opinion not needed as the large majority of users, do not condone "card sharing" as it is piracy, at lest if it is outside your own home. But who knows, there might be cards in the future for PC that has CI+ slots and so on. We will have to wait and see.

FillR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 16, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

My cable broadcaster has recently moved to CI+. This broadcaster is officially selling CI+ modules to be used in TVs.

If I buy the official CI+ module from my broadcaster, will I be able to use it in my old DVB-C TunerCard (FireDTV DVB-C) which support only CI and not CI+ ?

I know the CI+ needs to be activated, any info about what the activation does ?

Nindustries

Portal Member
    May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Short answer: no :)
    There arent any Ci+ capable tuner cards at the moment sadly.. i've been there too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom