what codecs do you guys use? (1 Viewer)

Imm0rtal1

Portal Member
November 7, 2011
Home Country
Hey guys just wondering what Codec packs you use? If you use any at all? I have found depending on what codec pack i use i get different glitches/errors with moving pictures..

The best i have found is the the Shark007 codec pack. Seems to be the most reliable for me..

What about you guys, what do u use or find the best?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just the LAV filters available from the Desktop MP extensions installer, use M$ codecs for video and LAV for all audio, unless you have a nvidia gpu, then use LAV video with cuvid enabled.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I personally prefer the codec installation as outlined in the link in my signature. It mainly relies on the MPC-HC Standalone codecs, which carry the benefit that debugging codec issues is very easy. If any file plays with the MPC-HC application (which has all of the same codecs internal), then it will play inside MediaPortal.

The MPC-HC application has checkboxes to enable/disable the internal filters, so with all those checkboxes disabled it would work the exact same way as MediaPortal and rely on the DirectShow based MPC-HC standalone codecs, so it becomes very easy to figure out future codec issues. Because trust me, it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' codec issues will appear as new encoding settings are used.

However on powerful systems I prefer to add madVR to the mix (MPC-HC is compatible with it), because it gives the highest possible output quality that no other codec gets close to.

madVR features:

• high quality chroma upsampling
    • high quality scaling (bicubic, mitchell, lanczos, spline etc)
    • high quality YCbCr -> RGB conversion
    • gamut & gamma correction for display calibration
    • full 16bit processing queue
    • final 16bit processing result is dithered down to RGB output bitdepth
    • bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms
    • all work is done via GPU shaders
    • no shortcuts, highest quality has priority over anything else

The difference is spectacular on the right kind of hardware.

resa

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    the sunny side.
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: what codecs do you guys use?

Outside the MePo-World the only fine codec-pack i know is K-Lite, but if using MePo i recommend to use non of these general packs. (indeed, K-Lite works relatively well with MePo but has some limitations/needs manual tewaking on HD Live-TV)

Best codec for MePo depends highly on the used OS and graphics i think. But mainly i can recommend SAF, because it fitts specially for MePo and need less to nothing further actions to get it to optimal function.

I am still using SAF5, because it is abselutely stable on my System and plays all sources i ever tried.

May once upon a time i switch over to LAVF too, and i will use SAF6 then, because i highly trust the developer of SAF.

But for now, the good'ol ffdshow-SAF do it's job, also using my cuda.. and so i think "never touch a running system" by myself ;)

regards
    resa

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Would love MadVR integration, tourette pointed out how much work would be involved by the developer and us, and its a lot :(

Yeah, the only way I know how to make madVR work with MediaPortal is to use MPC-HC as external player. I just don't like it for myself, because I use the MediaPortal OSD information during playback a lot and like an easy switch back and forth between fullscreen and miniscreen to quickly navigate the MediaPortal GUI during playback.

Also my own HTPC system is on the weak side to make full usage of madVR, so I'm just suffering through the lower quality until I can afford to upgrade that box. Need one of those 55" OLED screens that are going to hit the market next year during the Olympics to really show off the madVR quality difference.

It is especially during upscaling/upsampling that madVR can show off its quality difference, but right now I'm watching on a small TV from too far of a distance to notice (human eyes just blur a lot of things out then) and with my DLP-projector setup still out of commision it is fine for me for the time being. But when I help others get setup and they have a higher budget, then madVR is the only way to go for the real aficionados.

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    LAV video decoder also has a high quality RGB32 converter which comes quite close to MadVR IMO.
    But both solutions cannot utilize DXVA and hardware deinterlacing......

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    LAV video decoder also has a high quality RGB32 converter which comes quite close to MadVR IMO.
    But both solutions cannot utilize DXVA and hardware deinterlacing......

Thats where cuvid works wonders, the picture sharpness and everything else just looks so much better compared to ffdshow or M$ codecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom