What could I do with the TS file recorded? (1 Viewer)

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
December 28, 2011
Hi, I'm in the UK and I'm considering a move from WMC for my recorded TV and general HTPC use.

I'm only recording from Freeview and so I understand that MP will produce TS files with the original format as recorded from the input stream (MPEG2 for SD and h264 for HD).

I'd like to convert / transcode / direct copy the video and audio data to a format that will be hosted by my networked media server (the MediaServer package on a Synology DS411j). As the medai server hardware is not of a high spec, I'd like to store everything in a format that is easily streamed. I'm likely to stream to LG smart TV's so a fairly rudimentary format is prefereable.

I'm thinking that MP4 would be suitable for all purposes, so I'd like an idea of what is involved in moving the TS recorded files into an MP4 format before archiving away on the NAS?

Apologies for anything in this that doesn't make sense. I don't understand Codec / Video Containers / Format etc (ironically I'm a C# developer with 15 years experience :eek: but still can't get down what it all means - I should add too that once I'm a user of MP I expect that I'll begin to contribute too).

Thanks in anticipation.

Chubby[DOUBLEPOST=1392042358][/DOUBLEPOST]I should add, I'm currently recording using WMC and converting the WTV to MP4 using Handbrake with mixed results. I've not figured out how to direct copy out of the WTV without remuxing - which means that SD films take 2+ hours on my HTPC and HD - well I've always had to stop after 8+ hours!

As I see it, MP would give me a better file format to start with, allowing me better options for producing a much more consumable MP4 file.

kaidoloor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2010
    Home Country
    I used the .ts files to play them by my Sony Bravia (no conversion necessary). Much better than handling Windows Media Center files or other formats.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Since TS files are just MPEG streams taken directly from the tuner in theory the TV has the ability to play then back without transcoding. It might do something not-very-clever like checking the file extension and ignore the file format so you may have to rename them .MPG

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    Thanks for the responses chaps. I rigged up a test bed last night (installation and discovery of channels went really smooth - kudos guys) and recorded 5 mins of an SD broadcast, uploaded the .ts file to the media server and was able to play it back through my Smart TV without issue. Even seeking on the timeline was supported. Very happy.

Just a couple of other things for me to sort out, then I think I can start to move over to a MP installation:
    • Couldn't get any EPG data to download via the DVB tuner. However, I would probably use an XMLTV provider anyway (as I do in WMC).
    • Couldn't get any video to display for the UK Freeview HD channels. Tried switching between ffmpeg and LAV filters but neither worked.
    I'll get on the forums tonight and try to sort these niggles out.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    Hi, apologies for the delay in responding back. Not sure what I did, but I left it went back the next day and the EPG was filled out with data (and works really smoothly - much better than the WMC guide) and the HD channels worked.

I'm probably going to build an new HTPC with a reasonable spec (i3 / i5), so I'll try it again with that one and hopefully be able to report back some better usage details.

In the meantime I would appreciate understanding how an EPG update is triggered? Is it on a schedule, or does something else trigger it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom