What do the series recording options mean, and why is MP2 recording random programs? (1 Viewer)

Nikki Locke

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 2, 2019
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    I have set up a number of series recordings. But I am not sure what the options mean - should I choose "Weekly" or "Weekly every time on this channel" or what?
    I find that MP2 is recording apparently random programs. For instance, I set up a weekly recording of University Challenge on BBC Two from 20:30 to 21:00 on Mondays However, I find MP2 is about to record Mary Berrys Quick Cooking that starts at that time today, as they have moved University Challenge to 20:00.
    What options do I choose to get it to record the right programme?

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    set up a weekly recording of University Challenge on BBC Two from 20:30 to 21:00 on Mondays However, I find MP2 is about to record Mary Berrys Quick Cooking that starts at that time today, as they have moved University Challenge to 20:00.
    The series recording is not dynamic. Short-term programme changes will not be considered. Such a service existed 25 years ago with the VPS signal, which allowed Video Recorders to adjust to changes in start and end time. Today no such signal is broadcasted anymore.

So in summary: a series schedule means that you define the same start time for the future, regardless of later changes.

Last edited:

Nikki Locke

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 2, 2019
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    I still don't understand why it is recording a completely different program that happens to be on at the same time.

Are you saying it is impossible to record University Challenge every Monday on BBC 2 whatever time it is on? Doesn't "Weekly every time on this channel" do that? If not, what does it do?

An ideal media centre would know that I asked to record the series, and would search the guide for a program with the same (or, if not found, a similar) name, on or near the time requested.

Doesn't sound all that difficult to program - perhaps that setting would be the default, but you could edit the schedule to use one of the other options if you prefer.

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Are you saying it is impossible to record University Challenge every Monday on BBC 2 whatever time it is on? Doesn't "Weekly every time on this channel" do that? If not, what does it do?
    The schedule is based on the EPG and zu probably gave you an imprecise answer before. If you set a series schedule and then check the results, you will see a series of
    Individual recordings, baaed on the EPG content.

What I don’t know is, how often - if at all - this schedule is verified and adjusted. My own EPG is updated every two days, so any short-term change would anyway most likely be lost.

One would need to change EPG content manually to check if this leads to an updated recording schedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    toricred Recordings Change : to _ in Series Name General 0
    J How to save recorded Movies and TV Series to sub-folders? Newcomers Forum 1
    P TV recording not displaying episode titles or going into series General 10
    N [solved] How to record a series (UK Freeview dvb-t) General 10
    Stubbie Recording TV series by partial title MediaPortal 1 Talk 1
    L TV-Series unvollständiger Import Plugins & Erweiterungen 5
    toricred Library Contains Non-Existent Series General 0
    G Q about scheduling weekly series when epg lists duplicate back to back episodes each week General Support 2
    P MP 2 - Request to add an additional TV series Filename protocal Feature Requests 0
    W Not finding/matching new series - thetvdb issue? My TVSeries 3
    T TV Series Configuration funktioniert nicht Plugins & Erweiterungen 15
    HTPCSourcer Missing series posters/banners MediaPortal 2 11
    T TV Series - can't connect to http://thetvdb.com/api General Support 4
    L TV-Series kein Import Plugins & Erweiterungen 6
    Megane MP TV-Series and MediaPortal 1.23 Regeszter Edition (and TVDB). My TVSeries 11
    joecrow [solved] Can't find Series (Animals with Cameras) My TVSeries 4
    J Clean up orphaned entries in MP-TV Series My TVSeries 2
    Megane Manage Tv Series and Anime in My TVSeries My TVSeries 6
    1gkar Use Alternative Sites to Scrape Series Info My TVSeries 5
    A Mediaportal 2.2.1 - Some series posters not displaying General 6
    N [Finished] MP2-803 - Delete full series doesn't work when viewing a program in the extended schedule screen MediaPortal 2 12
    N [Proposal] How to improve series scheduling MediaPortal 2 72
    N [solved] How do you get things into the Series or Movies listing General 5
    H Continues Playing function in series section Feature Requests 6
    M.Hulot Fragen zu / probleme mit mediaportal tv series Allgemeines Supportforum 19