What do the series recording options mean, and why is MP2 recording random programs? (1 Viewer)

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
February 2, 2019
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have set up a number of series recordings. But I am not sure what the options mean - should I choose "Weekly" or "Weekly every time on this channel" or what?
I find that MP2 is recording apparently random programs. For instance, I set up a weekly recording of University Challenge on BBC Two from 20:30 to 21:00 on Mondays However, I find MP2 is about to record Mary Berrys Quick Cooking that starts at that time today, as they have moved University Challenge to 20:00.
What options do I choose to get it to record the right programme?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    set up a weekly recording of University Challenge on BBC Two from 20:30 to 21:00 on Mondays However, I find MP2 is about to record Mary Berrys Quick Cooking that starts at that time today, as they have moved University Challenge to 20:00.
    The series recording is not dynamic. Short-term programme changes will not be considered. Such a service existed 25 years ago with the VPS signal, which allowed Video Recorders to adjust to changes in start and end time. Today no such signal is broadcasted anymore.

So in summary: a series schedule means that you define the same start time for the future, regardless of later changes.

Last edited:

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I still don't understand why it is recording a completely different program that happens to be on at the same time.

Are you saying it is impossible to record University Challenge every Monday on BBC 2 whatever time it is on? Doesn't "Weekly every time on this channel" do that? If not, what does it do?

An ideal media centre would know that I asked to record the series, and would search the guide for a program with the same (or, if not found, a similar) name, on or near the time requested.

Doesn't sound all that difficult to program - perhaps that setting would be the default, but you could edit the schedule to use one of the other options if you prefer.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you saying it is impossible to record University Challenge every Monday on BBC 2 whatever time it is on? Doesn't "Weekly every time on this channel" do that? If not, what does it do?
    The schedule is based on the EPG and zu probably gave you an imprecise answer before. If you set a series schedule and then check the results, you will see a series of
    Individual recordings, baaed on the EPG content.

What I don’t know is, how often - if at all - this schedule is verified and adjusted. My own EPG is updated every two days, so any short-term change would anyway most likely be lost.

One would need to change EPG content manually to check if this leads to an updated recording schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom