What is considered as remote share (1 Viewer)

TRIROG

Portal Pro
February 27, 2007
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Hi!

I'm using media portal on a client to access folder on a server (\\server\series) where i have all of my series stored.
To simplify things i mounted that as a remote share on U:.

So i used the folowing path in MPTVSeries setup as Import path : u:\Series

What i'd like to know is does the mptvseries recognize such path as a local share or a remote share and apply the rule (scan the remote shares every x minutes).

Thanks!

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    That will be considered a remote share. Probably should be called Network Share but anyway, anything on network is considered remote in this case.

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Juts to be clear:
    inspite the fact, that i used Windows, to map a network share to Drive letter, MPTVS will be able to differentiate it from local disks?

Or would it be safer, to set import path as \\server\series

Thanks!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    however i think it's safer to use \\pcname\series than U:\series

or even better you should share series on the network so you can point to \\series\

advantage is that you don't have to rescan / edit database if
    (a) move files to a different location on pc
    (b) move files to a different pc
    (c) move tv series database to a different pc

I just build a new htpc, and this is the method i'm using as it's most robust.

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    however i think it's safer to use \\pcname\series than U:\series
    It is a LOT safer!

Because sometimes it can happen that you start your PC and the NIC (for whatever reason) is not ready fast enough. As result, you will see all your mapped network shares to be offline/not connected. And so will be all media inside MP.

If you use UNC paths, then you will never have that issue. :)

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The art of batch-scripting, following is my startup-script that is used when my HTPC starts up:

Code:
    @Echo Off
    ::Ensure Internet is working
    ping 4.2.2.2 -n 1 -w 30000
    :NoNetwork
    ::Johnny Five alive?
    ping UNC_SERVER -n 1 -w 30000
    ::Check to see if UNC paths can be mapped, and delete old mapping first if one still exists
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" NET USE S: /DELETE
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" NET USE S: ##UNC_SERVER\Share1 /PERSISTENT:YES
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" NET USE T: /DELETE
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" NET USE T: "##UNC_SERVER\Share2 with spaces" /PERSISTENT:YES
    ::If still issues, add a 5 second delay before trying again
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" echo WARNING: Network down. Retrying again, use CTRL+C to abort.
    IF NOT EXIST "T:\Network.Drive.Works.txt" Goto NoNetwork
    ::All systems go
    sent.exe /d:WORKGROUP "Battle Cruiser Operational -- By Your Command"
    MediaPortal.Backup.cmd

And then 'MediaPortal.Backup.cmd' contains the stuff that will scan my databases to make sure they are not corrupt, back them up if they are good and restore them if they are bad. The reason I map those 2 shares on my setup is because I want to use the plugin DriveSpace on my network shares, so I know how much space I got left, and that only works on mapped network paths.

PS: and yes I actually have the message service enabled on my network so if I WOL my HTPC I'll know when it has actually booted :)
    PPS: NetBIOS names, filenames and share references were changed to protect the innocent, adjust to match your own setup

[edit] Moronic forum system keeps wanting to turn \\UNC into a link, so had to use ##UNC to prevent this from happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom