What is most popular "standby mode" used by MP users... (1 Viewer)

davej00

Portal Pro
March 22, 2006
UK
Folks

Thanks for all your replies so far -- I think S3 has the edge.

I had been [trying? to] use S4 -- but had some setup issues [USB devices not waking machine from hibernate :(]. In the light of your comments, I may give S3 a go.

Thanks again.

- Dave

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Every driver should be WHQL compatible to prevent any weird problems with wake-up

Agreed. Anyone using beta drivers or unsigned drivers is just asking for trouble on a HTPC.

Im using S3 as well here. Power scheduler set to turn off the system after 10 minutes. It's a great feature because I can just turn the TV off when I go to bed, and the machine will turn itself off in 10 minutes.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hibernation. Although MP has trouble resuming normal operation of the Hauppauge HVR-900 (even when using suspend to RAM -S3-). So when I have scheduled a recording on DVB-T, I leave it on S0 (fully active).

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Folks

Thanks for all your replies so far -- I think S3 has the edge.

I had been [trying? to] use S4 -- but had some setup issues [USB devices not waking machine from hibernate :(]. In the light of your comments, I may give S3 a go.

Hi Dave,

As I said the power use different between S3 and S4 is almost non existant, because even when "off" most new systems still have power for wake on lan etc and the power switch these days is soft.

Also with S3 the start up and shut down time is much better. The only down side would be a power outage, but they but happen so often and UPS systems are really cheap these days.

/James

FLY

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2006
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    wewe,

so what is this master/slave power supply ?

thx
    fly

" all peripherals (TV, 5.1 booster, STB, ...) switched on and off with master/slave power supply"

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    may be "power supply" is not the correct english term. The translator says: "multiple socket outlet". Anyways - There is ONE outlet for he master device (MP PC). The other outlets are switched on or off according to he power consumption of the master outlet.

So when I switch on the MP PC (with my MCE remote) the whole armada of other devices gets switched on as well. Very cool!!

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    S3 here. At first I wanted to use hibernation, but my machine couldn't handle that for some reason. S3 is much quicker to start, though. The only downside is the flashing light. It's a bit too bright for my taste, so I'm thinking about doing something about that.

xurr

Portal Pro
    May 3, 2006
    Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Everybody keeps saying that there is little difference of power consumption between S3 and S4. Is there any documentation where I can find something specific on this topic?

I have a Shuttle ST20G5 XPC barebone, recent releases of MP+HVR1300 drivers seems to work quite well out of S3 (unlike previous releases that only worked out of S4), so I'm considering switching to S3: power outages and power consumptions are my main concerns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom