porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I am just putting together my dedicated TV Server, and I really am struggling to get this thing even booting up. :cry:

I have the following:

• Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H motherboard
    • AMD Phenom II x6
    • 16Gb (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
    • 1 x 60Gb SSD
    • 1 x 750W OCZ ZS series PSU

I cannot get a boot screen appearing. My first thought was that the MoBo was set for a PCIe GFX card instead of using the onboard GFX, so I reset the board to factory defaults. Still no boot screen. I have tried all of the 4 RAM sticks in the first slot and still nothing. I have tried the GFX card from my lounge HTPC and still nothing on screen.

There is power to the MoBo as the CPU fan runs and the PCIe GFX cards fan powers up... I am now at a loss what to do, with the exception of sending the MoBo back as faulty.

The processor is listed as being supported on the Gigabyte website.

Any ideas anybody... I'm wanting to get this up and running :(

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi xetic... I really don't know, I don't have any other m/c to try it in.

I am thinking that maybe the MoBo BIOS needs updating to deal with the Phenom II x6... but how can I update it when it won't boot up?? :confused:

EDIT: Spoke to supplier who said the BIOS will need updating. The fastest method is to get hold of a Socket AM3 processor, such as a Sempron 145 and use that to get the Mobo running and then update the BIOS. The longest method is to send back and they will update BIOS and return the MoBo.

Anyone got a Sempron 145 I can borrow for a day?? ;)o_O

Last edited:

xetic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 29, 2010
    Bonn/Alfter
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    it is very difficult... maybe you have a pc store near by you and they can test the mobo.

I had the same problem, because my ram was to fast (1600er) for the MoBo. But you say the mobo support your ram

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    EDIT: Spoke to supplier who said the BIOS will need updating.
    Check the date of the BIOS version that is supposed to support your CPU. If that bios is more than 3 months old, then chances are very high that you already have the bios on your mobo.

Doublecheck that you did connect the "power button" from the PC case is correctly to the mobo
    Check that the powerbutton of the PSU is "on" :D
    If that is okay check that you did not damage the CPU/mobo pin's when installing.

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I just re-read. You said *no bootscreen*. So when you press the powerbutton it actually fires up, but then just blackscreen?
    If so, I'd try:
    - another PSU
    - different RAM
    - install a GFX card for testing you already did that :)

If that all does not work. Then either the MoBo really does not like the CPU (-> BIOS), or one of the two is broken/damaged. CPU socket pins is what many ppl don't take enough care about.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Chris,

Tried two PSU's...

I don't have any other DDR3 RAM, but surely 4 sticks of RAM cannot be faulty. I have checked the CPU and the pins are fine.

I just awaiting a phone call from a pal who may have a Sempron I can try... (y)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Chris & Xetic,

I have now put a Sempron 145 in, and the Mobo is booting up... just installing OS in order for me to apply the mobo BIOS update.

This means the Mobo is working, so it could be either:-

1. BIOS update required
    2. Phenom II x6 has failed.

I will update this thread as I progress.

Thank you to infinite.loop and Xetic for the help & suggestions. Very much appreciated.

PS. All memory sticks are showing up in BIOS boot screen... 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - great for timeshifting (y)

EDIT - BIOS updated OK to latest version. Works fine with Sempron CPU, but will not boot with Phenom II x6 - methinks the CPU is faulty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom