What's the typical channel change delay like with MP? (1 Viewer)

LaTropa64

Portal Member
May 13, 2006
I'm running MythTV right now and I'm considering a switch mainly because channel changes while watching live TV is so slow. It usually takes 3-6 seconds just to change the channel. If you are a hardcore channel surfer, that kind of delay is almost unbearable.

I know it probably varies from setup to setup but I'm wondering how long it is taking for channel changes with most people running MediaPortal? I miss the days of instant channel changes. Is that even possible with a PVR?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

Depends on how you watch TV and have configured things. For example, timeshifting adds an extra 2 seconds to channel changes here. With TS off, the zapping is 2 seconds (which is the OSD zap delay).

So, if I configure the OSD zap delay to 0 seconds and don't use timeshifting, I've got instant channel changes. With MP, you can start watching TV with TS off and switch it on as soon as you want to by pressing pause. A nice compromise between fast zapping and being able to take off to the toilet when neccessary... ;)

BTW, I prefer to have the OSD zap delay higher than 0 (preferrably 2 seconds). This way I can do zapping based on the guide info shown in the OSD, instead of having MP actually switching the channel.

Kind regards,
    Michel

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    now that is something interesting I didn't know :)

so by just configuring timeshift delay to 0 and OSD to 0 we have fast channel switch and STILL get to have timeshift if I press pause? (but what I miss is "rew" I guess, right?)

so HOW do I set those to 0?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

There is no '"timeshift delay" option. I was talking about the delay that having timeshifting enabled adds to channel changes. Just configure OSD zap delay to 0 (setup -> Movies -> OSD tab). Then, disable timeshifting in My TV Home. Next, just watch TV (with TS off) and press pause to enable timeshifting.

Kind regards,
    Michel

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    ah, interesting

Semi related question:

You have timeshift enabled, you pause or rewind a bit (because you lost the begining of the show you wanted) and press record... does it record from the point you WATCH currently of from the live stream?

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    tried it - doesn't work "as advertized" :D

you see pause works, just it doesn't pause... it just freezes the current frame - when you unfreeze it jumps to live again

(at least with my 13/5 SVN)

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    BTW, I prefer to have the OSD zap delay higher than 0 (preferrably 2 seconds). This way I can do zapping based on the guide info shown in the OSD, instead of having MP actually switching the channel.

Sorry - I don't get it! :?
    Why would anybody want to make zapping take longer than necessary? What is the point of adding "OSD delay"? And why is the setting located under "movies" and not "tv"?!

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi kamrat,

What's not to get about "This way I can do zapping based on the guide info shown in the OSD, instead of having MP actually switching the channel."? This way I can "zap" instantly through the tvguide info (shown in the OSD), while keeping TS on. Anyway, this is a matter of personal preference.

I agree with you; the zap OSD timeout setting should be made general and not hidden under the movies section.

EDIT:
    NLS said:
    tried it - doesn't work "as advertized" :D
    You'll have to understand that MP has to rebuild the graph in order to activate timeshifting. So, "under the hood" TV is stopped and started again with timeshifting enabled. So, it won't start exactly at the same place you pressed pause, but a few seconds later.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom