What's the typical channel change delay like with MP? (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
What's not to get about "This way I can do zapping based on the guide info shown in the OSD, instead of having MP actually switching the channel."?

Ok, so if I understand this correctly the OSD-delay, delays the channel change for two seconds so you can read the OSD-info of the new channel before it actually zaps. Is this correct? Why not just hit the button that brings you to the EPG or mini-EPG instead?
If this is the case I will definately change the OSD-delay to zero. Or does it do anything else that might be useful?
Sorry if I seem ignorant to you. I just don't get what the use is. Please enlighten me if I have misunderstood this.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
no I think you get it correctly (plus I have the same opinion with you - I especialy love in mini EPG that is show how much of the show is already played)

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi kamrat,

kamrat said:
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly the OSD-delay, delays the channel change for two seconds so you can read the OSD-info of the new channel before it actually zaps. Is this correct? Why not just hit the button that brings you to the EPG or mini-EPG instead?
    Indeed, that's what it does. And yes, I could just view the Mini-EPG or switch to the fullscreen EPG, but I don't. Like I said, that's just personal preference. And, personal preference can sometimes be hard to explain... ;)

kamrat said:
    If this is the case I will definately change the OSD-delay to zero. Or does it do anything else that might be useful?
    I can't think of anything else, no.

kamrat said:
    Sorry if I seem ignorant to you. I just don't get what the use is. Please enlighten me if I have misunderstood this.
    You don't seem ignorant to me. Just play with the settings and choose those you like the most. ;)
    I like the fact that the "next" show on the OSD is better visible than with the Mini EPG, for example.

Kind regards,
    Michel

LaTropa64

Portal Member
    May 13, 2006
    So with timeshifting enabled and the OSD delay set to zero you'll have a delay of 2 seconds. It still seems better than mythtv.

I asked around a bit elsewhere and I guess even the standalone TiVo has a delay of a couple seconds when you change channels.

I still wonder though with how fast PC's are getting why it even takes a couple seconds to start buffering before they can show us the image.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    My understanding is that this is because hardware TV tuners create an MPEG2 stream from the analog broadcasts, so you need a few frames in order to create the mpeg2 stream that can be played back, or we have DVB and anyway you need to wait a bit to start reading the MPEG2 video stream from somewhere that can create the full image. In either case there is a small delay. Add the time it takes to do some processes like clean the ts-buffer, show OSD, get channel EPG, etc.

For my waife this delay is annoying, she can switch the channels so fast that you can see all of them at the same time :D . But having the EPG data before actually switching channels makes this delay bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom