Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    anything said:
    i cant get MediaPortal's stability high enough so that i could use it every day.
    What instability issues are you experiencing? Maybe I can suggest something that will help?

anything said:
    what drivers (ati, dvico) and MediaPortal CVS are you using?
    I am using the latest MediaPortal CVS (02-25-2006--01-05) with ATI v6.2 and Dvico v3.21.01

anything said:
    do you use nVidia decoders for all parts of MediaPortal?
    Yes, it is the only video decoder that I specify in MediaPortal. I have also set the nVIDIA decoder's merit to be 0xF0800001, to ensure that it is always used.

anything said:
    are the nVidia decoders settings on defaults?
    Yes

anything said:
    what is the deinterlacing control in the ATI pannel set to?
    I use the default settings, except for the setting under 3D - Wait for vertical refresh, which I set to "always on" - but I don't think it makes any difference as VMR9 and "Use Exclusive DirectX" already take care of this. Since MediaPortal runs in VMR9 mode, which is 3D in the ATI panel, there is no de-interlacing setting.

I have also applied the MS patches described here and here.

The other thing that I did a few months back when I was having weird problems with MediaPortal, was to do a complete re-install (starting from a disk format) of Windows XP and then just the software necessary to run MP. It made a HUGE difference....and I have not looked back since... :) I did the re-install in a very planned and deliberate manner and it was well worthwhile.

anything

Portal Member
    April 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks Taipan. I'm going to do a fresh install and keep it as mean and lean as possible, then ghost it, so i can fall back to it.

Its only the TV part thats unstable, the rest is good. In TV get crashes, freezes, BSOD, No Signal, blank screens etc.

Do the newer DVICO drivers (3.30.0) have problems?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    anything said:
    Do the newer DVICO drivers (3.30.0) have problems?
    Not that I am aware of - I just haven't got around to installing them yet.... :)

The other thing I recommend, is don't put the DNTVLive! application anywhere near your MediaPortal PC - I don't know what it does, but even when I un-installed it, it still messed up MediaPortal. Hence the completely fresh installation.

And, if you install ffdshow, check its merit - I found that its default setting was the highest of all my video decoders, so I reduced it below the nVIDIA decoder. I can't recall the actual values, but I suggest you change it from "preferred" to "normal"

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    two things to esperado:

- your english is VERY good!
    - I agree not to all what you say but to: "first 100% stability to the core - then gadgets and luxury functions"!

Hopefully you read that, before you leave the "MP religion" :wink:

(why don't you stay here and help the devs if you are an experienced video developper???)

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom