Which current remotes are known to be compatible with MP2? (2 Viewers)

groovybaby

Portal Pro
December 3, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
In Dec 2020: I purchased 2 remotes for my new HTPC install, eg:
HP USB MCE IR RC6 Wireless Receiver and TSGH-IR02 Windows Media Center remote
Dell MCE RC6 IR Remote Control USB Receiver Microsoft Windows Media Center Kit

The Dell kit wouldn't work on my main PC or the MP HTPC (Both W10 OS)
The HP kit worked OK until recently, when some of the well-used keys started become unusable.
I checked online for an exact HP replacement, but that HP Remote is no longer listed.

I re-tried the Dell kit, which still doesn’t work on my MP HTPC.
So I connected it to may main PC, and it still doesn’t work, even though a windows popup says that the receiver is recognised and installed.

Both these remotes are designed to work with the Windows Media Center, which is no longer part of the W10 OS install. But I assume it is installed as part of the MP software, because my HP remote does work with MP.

So I was puzzled as to why the Dell remote doesn’t work on my MP?:
I did some checking, and it seems that this remote was supplied with a particular Dell PC, but lots of people have been unable to get that remote to work on other PC's with Windows Media Center, so this may be a driver issue?

So I need to order a new remote:
Q: So which current remotes are known to work well with MP?

Many thanks.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The Dell kit wouldn't work on my main PC or the MP HTPC (Both W10 OS)
    My HTPC is a Dell XPS 420, and it arrived (in 2009!) with a Dell-branded remote control and a clod-hopping IR receiver ("clod-hopping" == bulky). The remote is similar to the OrigenAe RC197, and there was also a Philips version. It is difficult to know who actually manufactured these remotes, but my Dell remote works fine with both WMC and MP (using the "General HID" support in MP). However, it is quite possible that Dell provided a variety of different remote controls over the years, so you may have one that is different from mine.

If you start "MP Config" and display the "Remotes" section, my remote looks like the image at the left end of the top row. Does your Dell look like that, or is it different?

Interestingly, there is an Olidata remote control that also looks like my Dell, and apparently it is still available here (for €2.50 !). However, another MP user purchased one and found that it did not work with MP, so it would seem that there are different internals even though the externals are virtually identical.

Basically, there are two remote control signalling systems:
    • Microsoft MCE RC6
    • Keyboard emulators
    The remote that I use now is the Ortek VRC-1100, which is a keyboard emulator (i.e. it sends keyboard shortcuts, and not MCE RC6 signals). It does not work with MP "General HID", but it does work with the "Centarea HID" on the "Sceneo" tab on the "Remotes" page in "MP Config".

It would probably be worth trying your Dell with the Centarea HID. It might work. There is a thread about the Centarea HID somewhere, but I cannot find it at the moment. That thread has a support pack to help with setting up the remote.

More generally, there are programmable universal remote controls. Logitech made the Harmony range, but sadly discontinued them 2-3 years ago. One-for-All still make universal programmable remotes. The point is that both manufacturers have code sets that behave like MCE RC6, and so work with WMC and MP. Both manufacturers also have code sets that behave like the Ortek VRC-1100, and so work with the Centarea HID.

A remote that is sometimes suggested is the Inteset 422. But this remote is secretly manufactured by One-for-All. This is apparent because it has the same 6-pin socket that all One-for-All remotes have, which allows you to program it using the "RMIR" freeware tool (but you need a special cable). Note: One-for-All remotes do not include the IR receiver (although the Inteset has an IR receiver that can be purchased separately).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Personally I have always just used different variations of the MCE RC6 remotes. Regarding your Dell remote, you could try changing the channel that Windows listens to RC6 commands from by editing a registry setting.
    1. Open regedit
    2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    3. Set the REG_DWORD CodeSetNum0 to 0
    4. Reboot
    This sets the channel that windows listens to remote commands on, by default it's set to 1 which is the regular MCE remote channel, setting it to 0 sets Windows to listen to all channels (and therefore all 'MCE' remotes). However, knowing Dell, it's possible they have a proprietary driver and this still won't work.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would probably be worth trying your Dell with the Centarea HID. It might work. There is a thread about the Centarea HID somewhere, but I cannot find it at the moment. That thread has a support pack to help with setting up the remote.
    The OP was with respect to MP 2 whereas your reply, particularly with respect to the Centarea HID is MP 1 only. The Ortek VRC-1100 and I suspect other KB emulator remotes can be set up using "Input Devices" in MP 2 Settings to work perfectly.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I just found this one on ebay, does anyone know if this actually works with MPV2 ?
    According to this page, the AIM RC118 is a bog-standard MCE RC6 remote control, so it should work with MP2. I have no experience of this remote, so cannot comment on the feel and durability of the buttons.

Since the seller is selling the remote and the IR receiver together, they should work with each other. I don't think that there is any functional reason to prefer one IR receiver over the other. The HP IR receiver is physically bigger and has a silver finish, whereas the Topseed IR receiver is smaller and is entirely black (I have both).

Caution 1: the seller is located in China, which may make it difficult and/or expensive if you decide that you want to return it for some reason.

Caution 2: The seller claims that these remotes are new. That is good. I would never purchase a used remote control, as "used" in this context is a euphemism for "worn out". (Remotes have a limited lifetime, due to the buttons wearing out.)

Criss35

February 25, 2023
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello.

I don't know if that can help.
    Personally, I use an android application with my phone (pay-as-you-go but there is a free version) that allows computer control via bluetooth and is configurable.

-Serverless Keyboard Mouse Pro (paying)

- Keyboard and mouse without server (free)

See photo personal configuration

Criss

Attachments

• Ma configuration.png
      Ma configuration.png
      115.8 KB

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    According to this page, the AIM RC118 is a bog-standard MCE RC6 remote control, so it should work with MP2. I have no experience of this remote, so cannot comment on the feel and durability of the buttons....
    Thanks for the info:
    However, the Dell remote I have doesnt work, and that is supposed to be MCE complent.
    So it seems you cant take the claims at face value.
    So its difficult to know if it will work, unless someone has allready bought and tried one.
    There dosen't seem to be enough info available about how to setup these remotes with MCE and MP2

BTW: Is it possible to re-program/change some of the remote keys that I dont use, to the functions of the keys that I can no longer use?

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Hello.
    I don't know if that can help.
    Personally, I use an android application with my phone (pay-as-you-go but there is a free version) that allows computer control via bluetooth and is configurable.

-Serverless Keyboard Mouse Pro (paying)
    - Keyboard and mouse without server (free)
    See photo personal configuration
    Criss

Thanks Criss, for your comments, I was wondering if a touch screen stand alone remote existed?
    Because that seems the most logical solution.
    However, from what you have said: Your app only works on a smartphone, presumably via the internet?
    So my HTPC would need to be permanantly connected to the web, which I would prefer not to do.

I did a quick search for stand alone touch screen remote controls, but couldn't see any that are MCE RC6 complient?
    But that could save a lot of agro, if there are any that are completely compatable, at a good price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom