Which current remotes are known to be compatible with MP2? (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    However, the Dell remote I have doesn't work, and that is supposed to be MCE compliant.
    Did you try making the change suggested by @Brownard in this post ? I had never seen that suggestion before, and to me it seemed quite likely that it would solve the problem with the Dell remote.

So its difficult to know if it will work, unless someone has allready bought and tried one.
    I think that the American expression for this situation is: it's a crap shoot.

There doesn't seem to be enough info available about how to setup these remotes with MCE and MP2
    In non-progammable remotes, the remote will always send a specific IR signal for each button on the remote. That cannot be changed. But what MP2 does when it receives that IR signal can be changed. There is a remote-control setup procedure in MP2 that allows you to specify the action that MP2 is to perform for each button. So functions currently assigned to buttons that no longer work could be re-assigned to working buttons that you don't currently use.

In programmable remotes (such as those made by One-for-All), you can program the remote to a particular code set (I think MCE is 1272), and then the buttons send the IR signals for that code set. So the remote is actually sending different IR signals, depending on the code set programmed. The One-for-All web site can be found here. I would suggest looking at the "Essence 4" (which I have), and the "Evolve 4". These can often be found for sale in larger Sainsburys, and (of course) in Currys. Hopefully, they should work with one or other of your two IR receivers, but... it's a crap shoot!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    the Dell remote I have doesn't work, and that is supposed to be MCE compliant.
    I found this Dell remote plus IR receiver available in the UK from Kustom PCs for £19.80 + delivery. It is identical to the remote and IR receiver that were supplied with my Dell XPS 420 HTPC, and which I know work with MP on Windows Vista and Windows 7 (and surely on Windows 10, but I cannot vouch for that). Although Vista was a Dell pre-load (and so might have had Dell-specific drivers for the IR receiver), I installed Windows 7 from the Windows 7 DVD, so it is a bog-standard Windows installation, but the IR receiver still works. :)

If you are interested, you should decide fairly soon, as they have only one remaining in stock (with no new stock available). Think of it as Aldi's middle aisle: When it's gone, it's gone.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    ...But what MP2 does when it receives that IR signal can be changed. There is a remote-control setup procedure in MP2 that allows you to specify the action that MP2 is to perform for each button. So functions currently assigned to buttons that no longer work could be re-assigned to working buttons that you don't currently use...
    Thanks for the info, that's useful to know, is there a wiki/info that I can follow to do this?

I found this Dell remote plus IR receiver available in the UK from Kustom PCs for £19.80 + delivery. It is identical to the remote and IR receiver that were supplied with my Dell XPS 420 HTPC, and which I know work with MP on Windows Vista and Windows 7 (and surely on Windows 10, but I cannot vouch for that). Although Vista was a Dell pre-load (and so might have had Dell-specific drivers for the IR receiver), I installed Windows 7 from the Windows 7 DVD, so it is a bog-standard Windows installation, but the IR receiver still works. :)

If you are interested, you should decide fairly soon, as they have only one remaining in stock (with no new stock available). Think of it as Aldi's middle aisle: When it's gone, it's gone.
    Again, many thanks for that info, I've just bought it!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    is there a wiki/info that I can follow to do this?
    There is an MP2 Wiki, and this page deals with customising the functions assigned to the remote-control buttons.

I've just bought it!
    I have just looked at that web page, and the remote control is now showing as "out of stock" :D . I think that buying from the UK (whenever possible) is preferable to buying from a foreign seller via Ebay.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I found this Dell remote plus IR receiver available in the UK from Kustom PCs for £19.80 + delivery....

Many thanks CyberSimian...
    Been using it for a few months now.
    I prefer the layout of my previous remote, but this works OK.
    Uses 3 batteries instead of 2, which dont last as long, probably because the main keyboard lights up when you press a button.

Thank you for spotting it just in time!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I prefer the layout of my previous remote, but this works OK.
    The layout of remotes does vary from one model/brand to another. I too find that some layouts are better than others. Generally, I prefer the buttons that I use most-frequently to be positioned near the center of the remote, which is not the case with that particular Dell remote. :(

Uses 3 batteries instead of 2, which dont last as long, probably because the main keyboard lights up when you press a button.
    Battery life is often a problem. A remote that I used in the past was the Logitech Harmony 650. It is a good remote, but not without its disadvantages. I used it with rechargeable batteries (two AA batteries), but they lasted only about 2-3 weeks before needing to be recharged. :(

I am waiting for someone to invent the "atomic battery", which would be capable of generating 10 KWatts continuously for 100 years, whilst being the size of a thimble. :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom