[NVIDIA] Which driver version and why? (1 Viewer)

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've just made the switch from Windows XP MCE 2002 32 Bit -> Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on my Dell computer with a Asus EN9400GT (PCI-E) and tried to create a resolution for 1080p @ 24Hz, but I get an error when I try to test the resolution in the NVidia Control Panel (Forceware 186.18, based on a report of it supporting manual timing =23.976) so the resolution isn't stored. I'm using the DVI output of the graphics adapter with a DVI->HDMI cable. The card also have HDMI output, but as my previous was VGA/DVI only, I've yet to buy a HDMI->HDMI cable to try.

My 42" Panasonic Plasma isn't Full HD, but I've had a 24Hz source connected to it without issues (perfectly smooth playback), so I do believe it's compatible.

Any users running Win7 Ultimate x64 who can recommend a suitable Nvidia driver so I can use 24Hz at last?
    Emph
    I would check this post and run "monitor asset manager" it helped me understand what my TV would accept. If 24 HZ is listed, great...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...lution-confusion-71973/index2.html#post523957

Just a quick update on my experience with the latest Nvidia driver and my HDMI connected TV. I upgraded this past weekend from 182.06 to 195.62 to check out hardware acceleration for FLASH.

The driver loaded and al seemed well until Monday night. Came home to find the PC booted and recording a show but when I turned on the TV the dreaded “black screen” I tried a couple more times with the PC powered up first and the TV turned on after and black screen every time. Just reverted back to 182.06 and it works again…

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've recently switched to 195.62 as well - seems to be behaving itself when resuming from S3 sleep (on Vista) provided my TV is at least on standby. This is the same behaviour as I get with 182.50, so at least they've fixed the nasty BSOD problem I got with every intermediate driver I've tried.

What I did discover yesterday (almost by accident) is that if it resumes from S3 and the TV is fully off - which always results in a blank screen in my setup - it can be revived by doing a 'scan for plug and play devices' in device manager when the TV is on. This can also be done using devcon commands - 'devcon rescan' - so I think I'll map that to a remote control button/keyboard shortcut.

Tony

sbp

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Auning
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi, I just want to inform you about my troubles with a new fanless 9500GT. I started without installing any nvidia drivers Win7 took care of everything - everything was OK.
    Then I thought that maybe I needed the nvidia drivers for better performance, I installed 195.62, and the looking at film and tv was fine, but no sound.
    I'm connected to the TV via a HDMI cable, therefore first I thougt that the sound might be better through a separate audio cable - but no luck.

After using google I found several others with similar problem, it seems like you need to choose HDMI with sound - hit OK, and then choose HDMI without sound and the OK. Then you have sound, but after a reboot the same problem is present again.
    195.62 breaks HDMI audio - NVIDIA Forums
    195.62 breaks HDMI audio - NVIDIA Forums
    Driver 195.62 - HDMI Audio Workaround -- FIX NEEDED - NVIDIA Forums

After trying many different drivers, I found 186.68 to be the best. Hopefully this stupid sound problem will be solved.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I recently tried to update my Nvidia driver to 195.62 and downloaded the adobe flash 10.1 beta for adobe flash HW acceleration. It all seemed to work until I turned the TV on after the PC was running to record a show and the infamous "black screen" again, so I reverted back to 182.06 and it all works as it should again...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm waiting for the next release, 195.62 just constantly gives driver errors and reboots, this is from installing after running driver sweeper in safe mode and confirming there are no nvidia files left over., 190 which came with the gt 220 works a treat, especially for encoding to h.264 at 90+ fps :)

fromaron

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    The same Black screen problem after S3 wake up if TV is turned on after PC running onboard nVidia 9200 + PCI-e 9300 in SLi mode (latest drivers 195.62) under Win 7 32 bit. Tried all available versions for win 7 with the same result. Having XP previously on the same system didn' have the problem (obviously no SLi available).
    The funny thing is on another PC ATI card is having exactly the same problem.

@ Paranoid Delusion
    I'm waiting for the next release

The new Beta driver 195.81 has just a few differences from 195.62:
    1. Several bug fixes to support the new Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta 2 release.
    2. Adds new SLI and multi-GPU profiles for Avatar Demo, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Demo, and Wings of Prey.
    3. Fixes 3D Vision display detection for CRT and DLP displays.

Who knows, maybe some of the problems are addressed there. Need to test it.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which driver version and why?

hey guys,

have 2 ION Systems running with Vista x86. One with NVIDIA 190.38 and the other one with 195.62.

The one with 190.38 is connected via DVI and everything is running stable. The one with 195.62 is connected via HDMI and has 3 out of 10 resumes from Standby with a BSOD.
    What driver should I try on the one with HDMI? The 182.06 is not available for ION...

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Which driver version and why?

cleaned the second system and installed 190.38. No issues with HDMI till now. Everything seems to work like it should :) will test bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom