[NVIDIA] Which driver version and why? (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    If anyone has upgraded to 196.75, revert back to 196.21, there is a known issue with these drivers that can cause overheating, nvidia has pulled the driver from their website.

Official NVIDIA Forceware 196.75 display driver feedback thread - NVIDIA Forums

Is the 196.21 any good?

Well i'm using 196.75 and no problems so far. GPU core temp is round 43Celsius.
    Asus Geforce 8400 GS silent(fannles). It could be because i don't need fan, and prolems
    are in fan control.

Br

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If anyone has upgraded to 196.75, revert back to 196.21, there is a known issue with these drivers that can cause overheating, nvidia has pulled the driver from their website.

Thanks for the tip, anyone running 196.21? Any feedback on HDMI handshake issues or lack there of?

I am thinking of once again trying something newer than 182.06 ....boy am I a glutton for punishment...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip, anyone running 196.21? Any feedback on HDMI handshake issues or lack there of?

AFAIK, if the TV is off and not in standby the issue still exists, as mine never goes off, have not tested but then I am stuck with 190.45 drivers anyway, still trying to prove if faulty card, or something else not compatible, as the onboard Realtek are disabled they are not a issue (reported as affecting Nvidia drivers, most likely the hdmi audio side).

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country

Is the 196.21 any good?

Well i'm using 196.75 and no problems so far. GPU core temp is round 43Celsius.
    Asus Geforce 8400 GS silent(fannles). It could be because i don't need fan, and prolems
    are in fan control.

Br

Yes, reading the thread linked in the post this driver appears to break the fan control, so unless you have a passively cooled GPU do not load 196.75

DanTX

Portal Member
    February 1, 2010
    Home Country
    I run 182.50 on a 9500GT - on my system any later driver I've tried always BSODs on resume from S3 sleep...

Tony

Hey,

I have 9500GT. And the drivers that works best are 182.06 and 182.50, I have all the 190* series, 191* series, and all new driver, they're all suck. The image looks very dull. Not sure if you have the same problem?

DanTX

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I currently run 195.62 on my XFX 9500GT - works OK for me (running HDMI to the TV).

In the nVidia control panel I use 'nVidia' settings to force the video colours to be correct (Adjust Video Colors -> Advanced -> Full (0-255) ) - the same as I did with 182.50

Tony

DanTX

Portal Member
    February 1, 2010
    Home Country
    I currently run 195.62 on my XFX 9500GT - works OK for me (running HDMI to the TV).

In the nVidia control panel I use 'nVidia' settings to force the video colours to be correct (Adjust Video Colors -> Advanced -> Full (0-255) ) - the same as I did with 182.50

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for replying my message. I have an Asus 9500GT, connecting HDMI to the TV. I’ve been wanted to switch to the newer driver for a long time, because it has CUDA support. And I have tried almost all the driver versions, but all of them are suck, the color looks very dull. The only drivers that work ok are 182.06 and 182.50, but it has no CUDA support. I’ve been on the phone talking with Nvidia tech support Level 2 for hrs, and exchange tons of emails, but it gets nowhere. So I gave up and stuck with 182.50. It’s obviously the driver problem. I told myself that I will get an ATI card in the future instead. I will try to 195.62 with color adjustment tonight when I get home. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

You mentioned that you also made some adjustment to correct color in 182.50? For me, I didn’t have to touch any setting. The color looks good.

How do you figure out to correct the color anyway?

Thanks,
    Dan

DanTX

Portal Member
    February 1, 2010
    Home Country

Tony

I tried the 195.62 with video color correction. Although the video color helps a little bit when video is playing, but everything else is still looks dull.
    The windows desktop, the graphics, the application and so on.... are still dull. I noticed that
    when I was playing around with setting in the Nvidia control panel, like the video colors,
    the HDMI with audio disable, I clicked on apply and hit ok. It became sharp. But after the PC reboots, it became
    dull again.

I also noticed that when I play a movie. The TV went black for 2-3 seconds before it plays. The same
    thing happens when I stop a movie.

These issues do not happen when using driver 182.50.

Are you experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
    Dan

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Mine does this if I set 1280x720 which gives overscan by default, but my HDTV lets me switch to pc mode which cures the overscan, but gives washed out colour and disconnects hdmi audio, my old 7900gs never did the drastic colour change when in pc mode, if I set res to 1280x768 then there is no issue, colours are fantastic, unfortunately my gt220 cannot use older drivers which never had some of the above.

Whats even more strange, if no drivers installed bar the generic Win7 one, then my resolution has no overscan in HD mode at 1280x720 and windows states that my native resolution and everything is sharp and crisp

See all the comments regarding this over at the Nvidia forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom