Which Intel NUC powerful enough for Mediaportal ? NUC Users, please share your thoughts (1 Viewer)

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
July 14, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
I'm running windows 10.

Your right about the USB thing with W7

I have 5 computers in the house all running W10 with no problems.

With the clock running out on support for W7
you're better off with W10

Regards

Glen

Soxbrother

Portal Pro
July 23, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I'm running windows 10.

Your right about the USB thing with W7

I have 5 computers in the house all running W10 with no problems.

With the clock running out on support for W7
you're better off with W10

Regards

Glen

So MP is 100% compatible with Windows 10 then ?

Last edited:

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
July 14, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
definitely. as well as the nuc, I have a PC in the lounge running W10 with MP and my sister runs W10 with MP no problem.(y)

The one thing I like about the nuc is the built in ir. no need to use up one of the four usb's on a receiver.
now I haven't seen the new brix or the cubi but the previous brix models didn't have ir built in

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If it is Windows 7, did you experience any troubles while installing? I've read that in order to install Windows 7, you first have to include usb 3.0 drivers in the installation image, because otherwise you can't use the mouse and keyboard during the installation.
    Recently I installed Windows 7 on a new Lenovo laptop (it had Windows 10 pre-installed), and I can confirm that installing Windows 7 is not a trivial task, but it is do-able if you are sufficiently determined.

Out of the box, none of the following work (no drivers): USB2 sockets, USB3 sockets, ethernet adapter, wi-fi adapter, bluetooth adapter, SD card reader. If your PC has an internal CD/DVD drive, you can install Windows 7 from the DVD without problem, and then install the missing drivers (this is what I did). However, if your PC does not have an internal CD/DVD drive, there is no way to boot the Windows 7 installation medium: an external USB CD/DVD drive won't work, and neither will a USB memory stick containing the installation image.

Intel are aware of this, and have provided a tool for producing a "slipstreamed" installation image. I have not used it myself, but others have used it successfully:

Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

I will be building a new HTPC soon, but have decided to use Windows 7 rather than Windows 10.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Soxbrother

Portal Pro
    July 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Out of the box, none of the following work (no drivers): USB2 sockets, USB3 sockets, ethernet adapter, wi-fi adapter, bluetooth adapter, SD card reader. If your PC has an internal CD/DVD drive, you can install Windows 7 from the DVD without problem, and then install the missing drivers (this is what I did). However, if your PC does not have an internal CD/DVD drive, there is no way to boot the Windows 7 installation medium: an external USB CD/DVD drive won't work, and neither will a USB memory stick containing the installation image.

Intel are aware of this, and have provided a tool for producing a "slipstreamed" installation image. I have not used it myself, but others have used it successfully:

Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility

I will be building a new HTPC soon, but have decided to use Windows 7 rather than Windows 10.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

I've already read about how to use the Creator Utility and also another way to put the usb 3.0 drivers inside the image.
    I also was asking myself if you couldn't install it from an external cd/dvd drive, but as you said it won't work.

I first got to purchase the NUC.
    We'll cross the Windows bridge when we get to it. :)
    --- Post updated ---
    definitely. as well as the nuc, I have a PC in the lounge running W10 with MP and my sister runs W10 with MP no problem.(y)

The one thing I like about the nuc is the built in ir. no need to use up one of the four usb's on a receiver.
    now I haven't seen the new brix or the cubi but the previous brix models didn't have ir built in

Didn't now that, thanks for the info.
    I have a usb receiver and mediacenter remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom