**??Which Remote to Use??** (1 Viewer)

etnpnys

Portal Member
January 17, 2006
Southern California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am currently building a HTPC and I think I'll be going with this software. I read the post about all the promising features of Media Portal, but one point that he forgot to add to the cost factor is that not only is Media Portal FREE, but you don't need to pony up the bucks to have Windows XP Media Center or even Pro - you can use Home Edition... That's awesome...

Anyway, I am definitely going to need a remote. I program custom remote controls almost daily at my job (installing home theaters, etc.) and I am only going to need the simple functions of a remote: play, stop, pause, all the arrows and enter/back for navigation. That's it. But I currently don't even have the ability to shoot IR codes at my PC. I need a receiver also.

Now, I know that Media Portal has the ability to work with a lot of remotes, but I don't have PC programming experience to tweak with the code to get it working. What is a reliable remote/IR receiver combination that I can get my hands on for pretty cheap??

Media Center remotes and IR receivers at their cheapest are $35-$40. Anything cheaper than this that works well?

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

As for the MCE remote, it won't work out of the box with XP Home Edition. Some people however got it to work by copying off files from a XP Pro SP2 install. Other people have failed to so, though.

Maybe there are cheaper remotes around, but IMHO the MCE remote is quite cheap already and works almost immediately in MP. You can even go the DYI route and use an old remote via WinLIRC/Girder, but IMHO that's way too much hassle compared to the MCE remote. And, building a IR receiver yourself probably will also cost around $15 or so. I've taken this path for learning & fun, but I would have been better off buying the MCE remote right from the start. ;)

Kind regards,
    Michel

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Take a look at Logitech s510 w/remote... if you are planneing on getting a desktop set annyway
    s510.jpg

etnpnys

Portal Member
    January 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Home Country
    Wow...

That's just way too much money, guys... I'm seriously only going to use nav, play, pause, etc.

I just need something simple that will let me map buttons to something, don't I??

RickWesh

Portal Member
    March 26, 2005
    Larimore ND.
    ATI Remote Wonder+

I've tried several IR based remotes using both an Creative Labs CMR-100 reciever and an IR reciever on my SB Audigy Platunim EX, yet the ATI Remote Wonder is an RF remote and is far better than an IR based remote I believe!

The software that comes with it sux and I opted for a third party app called uICE. I understand many MP users prefer Girder for managing their remotes yet I have'nt tried it!

You can get an ATI Remote Wonder/Remote Wonder II/Remote Wonder+ fairly cheap on eBay!

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    A quick heads up for those of you considering the Logitech 510 series; I bought one of these several months back and while I loved it's appearance and quality, the wireless range was very poor. Unfortunately, Logitech doesn't provide a max distance spec but with my setup anything greater than approx 6 feet resulted in unreliable operation. And at distances greated than 10 feet it didn't work at all. YMMV

Steve

etnpnys

Portal Member
    January 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Home Country
    re: Remote Wonder

Well, it doesn't look like the Remote Wonder will work as it is RF (radio frequency). I already have a custom remote control that has every other remote I have in it. But it needs IR remotes to work ....

http://www.hometheatermaster.com

I have the MX-700 (last year's version of the MX-850) and it's programmed via a PC. I can learn any remote into it as long as it is IR.

It didn't look to me like the Remote Wonder has an IR option, unless I'm missing something?

Elf

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2005
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SteveV, I got the Logitech s510 (exactly as in the picture above) and although I've never really tested it, I've never noticed any problem with range, it works fine from the other side of the room..?

The keyboard itself does take some getting used to though, the keys aren't in exactly the same place that I'm used to - particularly Return (I keep hitting #) and Escape!

The remote came as part of the bundle but I've never used it. It has its own media app that I don't use. It would be interesting getting the remote working with MP, but as it doesn't feature the numeric pad, I think it's a little limited.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Elf,

There are 2 versions of the S510; the one without the MM remote (the version I had) and the one with the MM remote. The version with the remote has a slightly different reciever. Given that this setup is geared towards multimedia maybe the different receiver provides better range?

The range was so poor on the first one I had that I was convinced it was defective and exchanged for another one (same model). Turns out it wasn't defective as the replacement unit had nearly identical range. I returned the second one and ended up ordering an MS Media Center wireless kb.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom