why are the requirements so high?!?! (2 Viewers)

hydro123456

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
I think I solved my performance problem, or at least partially by turning off DEP. The menus are still a little slow but before I was using up to 50% of the cpu just sitting in the menu, now with media portal open and 2 firefox windows I'm only using 5-11% and 30-45% while watching tv. You might want to give it a try if your using SP2.

X

xenon2000

hydro123456 said:
I think I solved my performance problem, or at least partially by turning off DEP. The menus are still a little slow but before I was using up to 50% of the cpu just sitting in the menu, now with media portal open and 2 firefox windows I'm only using 5-11% and 30-45% while watching tv. You might want to give it a try if your using SP2.

Thanks, I will check that out on my HTPC desktop, always nice to lower the idle cpu usage. :)

X

xenon2000

hakuna said:
hydro123456 said:
I think I solved my performance problem, or at least partially by turning off DEP.

What is DEP and where do I find it?

/Niclas

DEP = Data Execution Prevention

It's under Control Panel->System Properties->Advanced tab->Performance->Data Execution Prevention

I am going to do some testing and custom settings to see if I too can see a gain.

hydro123456

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
The only problem is turning it off in the menu doesn't turn it off all the way. To turn it off all the way you have to edit the BOOT.INI and change "Noexecute=optin" to "Noexecute=alwaysoff". Unfortunetly I didn't test it until I edited the boot.ini so I don't know if turning it off under the options helped or not.

hydro123456

Portal Member
January 9, 2005
I'm afraid I may of led you guys on a wild goose chase. My processor usage is back up again but I can't think of any changes that I've made.

Gamester17

Portal Pro
May 12, 2004
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Scope said:
Keep in mind that the skin-interface comes from Xbox MediaCenter. Dont blame developers of MediaPortal for the slow interface.
hmm, I don't think you should blame the XBMC-GUI-framework for causing MediaPortal slow menu response, XBMC does the job on a 733Mhz PIII / 64MB shared RAM even with video playing in the backgound so I think MediaPortal should at least be able to do the same on a dedicated 1Ghz / 256MB RAM HTPC, (and in case you didn't know; Frodo is actually the one who coded that XBMC-GUI-framework in the first place :p ...though the XBMC-GUI-framework has been greatly improved by the rest of XBMC deveopment-team during the last 6-months so maybe it's time that MediaPortal's devs take another look at XBMC to see what now things they can learn :wink: hehe).

Slightly off-topic (and sorry for nagging but); off-loading as many tasks as possible to the GPU (even if it's not GUI related) will indirectly improve overall performance :roll:

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    XBMC does the job on a 733Mhz PIII / 64MB shared RAM even with video playing in the backgound
    Thats correct, but what ppl dont know is that XBMC uses 80%-90% cpu
    and thats our problem. for MP we want 0%-10% CPU but the same performance as XBMC. Todo this we'll need to rewrite some code (which i'm already working on)

Frodo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom