Why choose media portal over other HTPC programs? (1 Viewer)

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
Well I guess since myth tv and MP are the only top contenders it really comes down to are you a windows guy or a linux guy ?

Theres your answer :)

dr_parky

December 5, 2004
UK
MyHTPC, is an OLD program - it's like comparing a 1950's CRT with a 50 Inch DLP. Compare Meedio or GBPvr, or SageTV to Mediaportal. (Im ignoring Linux).

MediaPortal progresses quickly, but is the only one of the above mentioned bunch that cannot run on Dual screen setup with Nvidia Cards.
I run SageTV now, I originally ran Meedio, and every couple of months I try MediaPortal.

It's nice, but since it's the only one that cannot run on two screens (e.g. Mediaportal on the TV (S-Video) - as primary, PC functions on LCD monitor via DVI) I consider it fundamentally flawed - generally the NVidia drivers are blamed - this is a crock - not a single one of the other Apps has the same problems.

Cheers

Mark

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    dr_parky, MP does run on NVidia dual screens. I use it well for my bedroom PC.

You can either have true Dual view and send all MP output to the TV or simply Clone and tell the drivers to always full screen MP windows on the TV. Either way works well.
    The only thing to be aware of is that for the first option, you *must* set the TV as your primary display. This *is* a fault of DirectX as it will only accellerate the primary device and MP relies heavily on the DX9 hardware accelleration.

divad

September 3, 2005
    Using MP and MCE together

From reading this thread alot of you have mutiple htpc programs running on your pcs
    I currently have MCE and want to install MP
    Can MP and MCE live happily together on the same pc or are there any issues I should know about ?
    I think I read that MP switches off the background transfer service on MCE so does that cause any problems ?
    Which version should I install 1.3 or CVS 2.0 ?
    I really like the free 14 day searchable epg with mce - do you get same with MP
    I am thinking of using MCE for 2 dvbt cards and MP for analogue with sky and dvbs satellite - will this work ok or better vice versa ?
    Will recorded tv , music , videos , pictures etc be stored in the same location or would they be stored twice ?
    Thanks for any help

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
    November 28, 2005
    I have no problems with Windows XP SP2, it's just that a UK magazine called Custom PC in an article which appears in the latest issue recommends installing MP over Windows XP MCE 2005 instead of regular Windows XP.

So I take it I can switch between Windows XP Professional to install software for example and MediaPortal for other things like viewing movies...

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    BorgmanJayce said:
    I have no problems with Windows XP SP2, it's just that a UK magazine called Custom PC in an article which appears in the latest issue recommends installing MP over Windows XP MCE 2005 instead of regular Windows XP.

So I take it I can switch between Windows XP Professional to install software for example and MediaPortal for other things like viewing movies...

Could you get a digital copy of this article for me? (Scan it or something)
    You are welcome to mail it.

But to answer your "question" : yes!

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
    November 28, 2005
    Thank you for being quite helpful with my questions so far, LordMessi and I'll see what I can do about getting a scan of the article sent to you by email as well.

I do have another question though... How do you create the boot-up screens and skins for MP?

I'm glad to hear that you can switch between MP and Windows XP Professional as it means that I won't have to use MCE 2005 now! :D

I take it that it's quite easy to switch between MP and Windows XP Professional?

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I take it that it's quite easy to switch between MP and Windows XP Professional?

MediaPortal is an application just like any other, there is no switching involved as such just open and close like you would Word or Excel. It sounds like you are thinking more along the lines of MP being a replacement shell which it isn't; or even more extreme is that you are mistaking MP for an operating system???

For information on creating boot screens follow any of the guidelines and tutorials found on the web for creating them for XP, as this is exactly what you are doing.

See the skinning forum for information on how to create skins, its not something a person can explain in a paragraph or two. As a start, you create your graphics in your graphics application of choice and then describe how those graphics are used via the skin markup stored as XML files in the skins folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom