Why choose media portal over other HTPC programs? (2 Viewers)

manta1968

Portal Member
October 27, 2004
Northeast Ohio
sgryd said:
I installed MCE at first. But after trying to join the machine to my domain with no luck I gave up. Since then I have learned that MCE does not support joining a domain.

MCE does join domains. I'm doing that right now. Works fine.

BorgmanJayce

Portal Member
November 28, 2005
Smirnuff said:
I take it that it's quite easy to switch between MP and Windows XP Professional?

MediaPortal is an application just like any other, there is no switching involved as such just open and close like you would Word or Excel. It sounds like you are thinking more along the lines of MP being a replacement shell which it isn't; or even more extreme is that you are mistaking MP for an operating system???

For information on creating boot screens follow any of the guidelines and tutorials found on the web for creating them for XP, as this is exactly what you are doing.

See the skinning forum for information on how to create skins, its not something a person can explain in a paragraph or two. As a start, you create your graphics in your graphics application of choice and then describe how those graphics are used via the skin markup stored as XML files in the skins folder.

Thanks for clearing everything up, Smirnuff because as I explained in a previous post, Custom PC magazine in the UK recommended installing MP over MCE 2005 but now I definitely know that I don't need to use MCE 2005, I can install programs like emulators in a regular manner [I take it emulators like GENS and ZSNES are supported?] using Windows XP Professional instead thus saving me lots of hassle with MCE 2005...

I'll be sure to visit the skinning forum to learn how to skin and I'll definitely try creating my own boot-up screens as well...

I just want to say 'Thanks' again to those who've helped me out here as I really appreciate the help given and I know now that I'll definitely use MP for my Media Centre PC... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom