Why do YOU use MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The most importend reason for me to use MP instead of MCE is the handling of pictures of my Canon 20D. I take a lot of photos with this cam and MCE is not able to show pictures, they recorded in vertical adjustment, without need to turn 90°. It is absolutly stupid to turn this pictures when i just watch them on my TV. I've tested MCE 2005 and I use since 4 months Vista, but the MCE extension is a multicolored drops. Nothing more

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    VMC had a major flaw that made it unusable for the configuration I have here, ignoring that fact the DVB-S was not nativily supported (is it now?)

Only if your OEM supports it :(.

That would be a no then :)

What I will give VMC is stability, as great as MP is I still get at least one crash/lockup a d\ay for one reason or another.

Logs, most crashes i can get down to drivers\codecs, unless there is a known issue with a MP update (everyone shots themselves in the foot occasionally :)).

Logs...yes...I will report something if it is repeatable....most of my issues are due to me being overboard...4 Sat feeds, 2 x DVB-T...150k+ music tracks, 1000+ movies and nearly a 1TB of TvSeries....not to mention 30+ yrs of photos...most apps will and do struggle :D

The main reason for most people using Mediaportal, is still its configurability compared to MCE, this in some cases scares people away from it, as it can look so complicated, but not if you are conversant with using windows and its protocols.

That is very true, but once setup correctly is not problem - I have installed a few MP systems for friends - basic config stuff - single box, 1 card and they run like a charm...get very few support calls on them - I only have problems because I fiddle with the thing so much!

Trevor

And VMC does have a good EPG feed....comes in handy as use it populate MP's guide :)

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    My reasons are very simple,
    1) I hate the way VMC interface works (up, down, side, etc)...MP gives me a simple method to get to the stuff I want to access.
    2) Further more I find the music function in VMC limited and restrictive, MP gives me the ability to view my music in almost any way I want.
    3) Strangely enough I also get a better TV image on MP than on VMC....I'm not sure why...but I still use TV2 as I still feel the TV-Server is not the best architecture....

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Having multiple clients and a tv server is way better way of working for me rather using vmc or wmc. Plus I have access to h.264 HD channels which media centre still can't play even with the latest update.

The Mixer

Portal Member
    July 6, 2008
    The main reason I move away from VMC, was because of the soon to come update (with support for subs on DVB-T channels) I couldn't convert what was recorded to Xvid anymore and because of that, I was stuck with some 3+ GB files for movies, instead of the aprox 1 GB Xvid - and I could remove all the stuff from the recording that I didn't wanted to keep.
    MP also get a very high rate i my book, because of it's easy to change the way it looks and how it works - and as the most impotent thing, if somebody have a idea for a function, they can be heard and if enough people and the devs like the idea, it will make it into MP - with VMC, there is only the MS way, if you don't fancy their way, well that's just to bad.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Have VMC a web EPG like the nice TV-Server plugin?

Seems there is a plugin and a very well developed one at that, that does this.

Can even stream the tv through the internet/web page apparently, even works on pdas according to the site.

WebGuide - Streaming TV, Remote Scheduling and Media Sharing for Windows Vista and Media Center

Yep, to me, the webguide is th only reason I would ever consider using VMC over MP.
    Most other things in VMC just annoy me too much.

As for stability, My set up, with one server and 2 or 3 clients with five tuners in the server and recording lots of things each evening runs very reliably. I find that if I don't reboot the server about once a month, Windows crashes, but strangely, watching TV still works. I just can't view any shared drives any more.

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    MCE has no DVB-S (and HD) support (at least, that was my view a month ago...). Satelite TV is the only option where I live. What's the point of a media centre on which I can't watch TV?

tonyscha

Portal Pro
    May 2, 2007
    Iowa
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use Mediaportal because the ATSC Subchannels EPG don't work on VMC... ( without reg edits)
    I also like the open source and I am not sure but it seems to play more formats but I havent messed with VMC to give it a good review.

PS The mediaportal community is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom