Why do YOU use MediaPortal? (1 Viewer)

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Doh, of Course, My mistake...

Still interested in how to get 6 channels showing at one time, without it being on different clients.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
6 screens, they are specifically designed for a video wall. Unfortunately that is 6 clients MP clients providing that picture with 1 computer per screen. It was a proof of concept for my boss, needless to say he was impressed. That was using 2 tuners, and was showing BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC News, CBBC, and 301 and 302 on UK freeview.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
So that means having 6 clients, with 6 remotes?

But still, it looks very good for a video wall. Next step is to integrate it somehow.
It is not bad having 6 clients, you could just base them of some via miniITX boards. The real problem, as I see it, is controlling the system without making it a hazzle.
How have you done this?

It's projects like this that is very fun to follow and learn from.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
At the moment it's not so easy, the 6 machines are in a room behind the video wall run through a kvm but can also be controlled via vnc.

SMa

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2007
    Helsinki - Finland
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    6 screens, they are specifically designed for a video wall. Unfortunately that is 6 clients MP clients providing that picture with 1 computer per screen. It was a proof of concept for my boss, needless to say he was impressed. That was using 2 tuners, and was showing BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC News, CBBC, and 301 and 302 on UK freeview.
    Not 100% sure, but isn't it possible to use virtual machines to watch tv?

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Vmware fusion or parallels on a mac would work, but vmware workstation on Windows doesn't support a high enough version of directx.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Ibeg said:
    Marcusb said:
    Yep, to me, the webguide is th only reason I would ever consider using VMC over MP.
    Most other things in VMC just annoy me too much.

you know the MP webguide?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/development-91/self-contained-web-server-interface-27320/

I use that too myself, but as much as I love MP, the Webguide for MCE is just so much nicer. It looks alot better, and has much more features.
    I haven't tried it myself (since I have no PC's with a Media Center OS), but from the looks of video and screens its absolutely amazing.

First of it looks great.
    Second, it is able to stream content over the web, which is something I would love to see MP being able to do. Right now I have to go through another program, ORB.com, to be able to stream my movies and tvseries, and I am still not able to watch live tv.

I would never change to VMC for this reason alone, but it is definately one of the things that could push me in that direction.

Yep, I already use BigKev's web server and it's great, but the Web Guide just has a lot more features.
    As has been said, not only can you set shows to record, it also streams recorded shows to you, wherever you are and on whatever format.
    In my opinion that add in is better than all of VMC put together.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not 100% sure, but isn't it possible to use virtual machines to watch tv?

Can you not have 6 instances of the MP client installed to different directories, or does it not work like that?

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use MP because of the whole TV-Server/Client setup. I have one "big" machine running the server with 6 DVB-T tuners. I have 2 client PCs connected to that, so I can schedule/watch any TV recording/channel from either viewing point.

I had a quick look at VMC and hated the new interface. I used to use MCE2005 for my HTPC back in my GB-PVR days, but i've switched to MediaPortal because it does everything I need with one box and one piece of software. I used to have a couple of MVP boxes instead of PC clients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom