Why don't use a good working TV engine like DVBViewer or VDR? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpeosl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You might not have compared the two engines, but I think the thread title doesn't really means "look how those other engines are good. Can this one be good?". It looks to me more like "Use this other engines since your doesn't do a job as good as they do".

:oops:
    you are right. The title is misleading. I apologise for that. I just ment, that the mediaportal developers should look at those applications and analyze them to understand the technique used in those applications, not that those applications are generally better than mediaportal. I'm sorry about that confusion.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    As a programmer yourself you must realise that you can't just come to a forum and declare the system bad because you can't get it to work (and then not believe anyone else has ever been able to get it working either).

As Chris (InfinityLoop) has said a few time, post the log files and your system specs. Tell us the steps you can take to make MP crash and the devs will work on fixing that. If you have spent any time on here at all, you must have seen just how fast the devs are at responding to bug reports.

For what it's worth, my main system works great. Ocasionally (after two weeks maybe) it may fail, but suince it's a Windows PC that never gets rebooted and is under very heavy use that is probably expected as far as I am concerned. Not sure if you will believe me tohugh, as I haven't sworn an oath.

So far you have ignored every request to post bug reports, log files and system specs. Nothing can be done for you if you continue. Why not post the reports, when you seem to like MP so much, surely you want to fix the problems that are causing you the most headaches?

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    tpeosl, If it's swearing of an oath that you are after then here goes.

My system works f**kin brilliantly

It's true that over the 18 months that i have successfully used MP as my main media entertainment source the pc it is located on has had the occasional crash (maybe 6 times).

I have always found information on this website that has resolved the issue and in general have found it to be something either separate or not entirely due to MP. The forums and those people that inhabit them are incredibly helpful and useful.

I am not an IT tech person unlike your group of friends who are all experiencing the same problem and are at the same stage of development in their MP as yourself. (Are there many mirrors in your household? ) And yet i have been able to iron out any wrinkles that have ocurred with the help given here.

Take the help that has been offered to you before, resolve your personal problems (with mp) as your further posting of "this doesn't work for me therefore it is flawed" is in itself a flawed argument.

Cheers
    m

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well i can tell you that i use the tvserver daily (singleseat) for watching and
    recording tv.
    Sure its beta and perhaps it crashes sometimes, but in my situation this is
    like once a week, not every minute. Oh and i'm using DVB-C/T and DVB-S (3 cards)
    Channel zapping times are now ~1 singleseat and ~4 secs when streaming

I find it strange that MP runs that bad for you and your friends.
    Perhaps if you post your configuration and your location then together we can
    find out why this is.

tpeosl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ok. ok. I'll give it another try. There seems to be some people out there, who have a stable MP running. When I'll get some spare time, I will install it again and ask for help here, if it dosen't work.

But after the discussions with my fellows who have uninstalled MP because it didn't work for them, I still belive that the TV engine in MP has a severe problem. My fellows and me just talked about mediaportal at a coffee break by accident. We didn't tried to install it together on a single PC or so. Everybody tried it by his own in the past year, without knowing from each other. There may be hundred of users out there like my fellows and me who tried to install MP without success and throw it just away without showing up in the support forum. I know this sounds thankless, but getting help in a support forum is the second best solution. The best would be working smoothly with the program right away after the installation.

pannivas

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    i only read the first page but you guys are really impressive.

You come here flaming MP and its community because you have a functionality problem?

If you really have a problem with MP then go post your problem in the support sections and not in the Talk section with full log information and hardware details so that the developers and or the big community can help with it.

I am not using the TV plugin with MP but everything else that i do use work perfectly fine with no problems at all.

I only had 2 times problems with MP crashing and guess what. At the end it wasn't really Media Portal's problem but bad software drivers that i used.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom