Why I think I'm switching back to Media Center (1 Viewer)

iosub

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
San Sebastian
Infinityloop.

Why are you lossing the time answering this messages? If people don't like MP, is easy, move to other product!!

MP is GREAT, works GREAT and you the developers are doing this for FREE!!!! Maybe if people donate money so you can sometime invite your wife/family to a diner for all the time you spend on this project and not in your personal life....

Iosu

m0deth

Portal Pro
December 31, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
wow, and here I tried to make it so Iloop didn't blow a blood vessel in his forehead about this.....haha.

To the author of the post. Alot of people here try their hardest to help....but you have to wait a lil, or maybe make sure your post is noticed by bumping it, etc...the problem here that I notice is you didn't tell us what you had, how long your current OS has been on the machine, what updates, drivers, software codecs, etc have you added.

Before you say some software "should just work" make sure the OEM and retail stuff does first....or you have no basis for your illustrated point. M$ shit simply doesn't work until you massage it like it was your wife. And if it does, you bought it on an OEM machine, and they were the masseuses, and did all that for you. Rarely does a M$ product work 'out of the box' per say, in fact, MP does a far better job of that than pay software I've encountered(anyone tried getting beyond tv to play mkv files ever knows this).

We all know this can be frustrating when something doesn't work...but be careful where you lay blame...at least learn how to aim that gun you are about to shoot.

Once again, I still think your biggest problem is Vista, SP1 or not....it's bloated crapware that simply doesn't work right in MOST cases if not OEM machines. It would have been a real OS had they not worried more about making our lives miserable whilst trying to get some entertainment, and stuck with developing the real features they dropped in lieu of DRM, UAC, and other horrid mistakes they were paid to commit. It's taken them 6 years or more to develop CableCard support.....support that most Cable companies are about to abandon....sweet move.

BTW, Vista SP1 has it's new random number generator complete with NSA backdoor and spyware, beware what you do once updating to this in the future. And for heaven's sake DO NOT TRUST it's encryption, as it's broken from the get go. IMHO, M$ and the NSA should be sued into oblivion for this.....but that will never happen.

This is another reason why I am hopeful for the Hauppauge HD PVR with it's compnent in with FULL HD res(yes I know its realtime H.264). For most of us in the US, being stuck renting or owning cable boxes for various services, with no way to record HD for ourselves to watch when we want/need without restrictions(some hugely vaired and/or ridiculous by company). This is the "holy grail" US consumers have been screaming for, yet nobody cared to listen, figures an international company finally said "f**k hollywood, there's money here, and we're making it" Of course we have yet to see it's internal workings, for all I know, the MPAA has managed to get 5C working with it somehow, and we are just as screwed.

For your original problem, if MCE isn't doing anything MP cannot do....dump it for a tweaked XP version that just runs fast....and take MP from there, my guess is, everything should work. Good Luck.

m0

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Before you say some software "should just work" make sure the OEM and retail stuff does first....or you have no basis for your illustrated point. M$ shit simply doesn't work until you massage it like it was your wife. And if it does, you bought it on an OEM machine, and they were the masseuses, and did all that for you. Rarely does a M$ product work 'out of the box' per say, in fact, MP does a far better job of that than pay software I've encountered(anyone tried getting beyond tv to play mkv files ever knows this).

If anything, you are understating the situation. I have one of those "OEM machines", but still found the OEM MCE installation (WinXP 2005 MCE) unsatisfactory. MCE is badly broken in many ways, with no hope in sight. Just a few examples:
    1. Incomplete EPG, no alternative.
    2. No way to record video from external source within MCE without reconfiguring (and losing TV configuration).
    3. No way to browse untagged music files.
    4. Miserable DB performance, even with tagged music files.
    5. Very inflexible menu structure and navigation
    MP may not be perfect, but it is lots better! Keep up the good work!!

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But when I posted my issues there is no answer for several times.
    it is simply impossible that we answer or even read every single post which is made in the forums (we have way to less ppl in the team for that).
    and most of the time one forum-search would allready reveal the answer to your question. ;)

:sorry:

My suggestion is that one of the responsibles should give a clear state whats going on and for what we have to wait.
    hmm.... like the news on the homepage?

::MediaPortal 1.0 / TV-Server 1.0::

Ist there a hope to get a running TV3 with HDTV?
    erm.....

what do you mean?
    • you have problems and it doesnt work for you? (dvb-s2 works flawlessly with my floppy-s2 and coreavc 1.6)
    • or do you mean if we will suport hdtv? which we allready do ofc in TV-Server. ;)
    Thank you Infinityloop for anwering.

>>you have problems and it doesnt work for you? (dvb-s2 works flawlessly with my floppy-s2 and coreavc 1.6)
    >>or do you mean if we will suport hdtv? which we allready do ofc in TV-Server.

My MP 0.2.3.0 runs with dvb-s2. So its clear that MP can play TV dvb-s2. I am doing intensive tests with several machines to see which configuration runs stable. In all cases I got a freeze after a time of 1 up to 4 h playing dvb-s2 ASTRA HD promoprogram. I posted my config and logs some weeks ago.
    After doing a lot of tests with newest SVNs I got still the same problem.
    Then I came to a point where I should to know if that is a bug of MP or am I doing every test with the same mistake.

I use Skystar DVB-S2 , Dual Core 2 3.0 GHz and coreavc 1.6. I also tried Cyberlink H264 decoders. Cyberlink a little bit more stable but not good.

If I take original Technisat Softw. Package to play DVB-S2 it runs on the same machines endless without freezing. So I suppose it is a filter-problem perhaps souce filter which ist writing the timeshift file.

After I have spend 3 weeks testing with 3 machines I should have an orientation whether I have to wait for 1.0 or I have to change something. What can I do to come along?

Thank you for helping me.

Regards Andrew

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    My MP 0.2.3.0 runs with dvb-s2. So its clear that MP can play TV dvb-s2. I am doing intensive tests with several machines to see which configuration runs stable. In all cases I got a freeze after a time of 1 up to 4 h playing dvb-s2 ASTRA HD promoprogram.
    MediaPortal 0.2.3.0 does NOT support dvb-s2. only the TV-Server does this.
    so i guess you are using the TV-Server ?

be aware that there are 2 AstraHD Promo channels! ses-astra.com
    • one is broadcasted on TP - 102 in dvb-s2, MPEG-4 (which you can not receive with MP 0.2.3.0)
    • one is broadcasted on TP - 88 in dvb-s, MPEG-2

nevertheless, this is not the topic here.
    please send me the link of this thread you mentioned and i will have a look. :)

Domarkas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My MP 0.2.3.0 runs with dvb-s2. So its clear that MP can play TV dvb-s2. I am doing intensive tests with several machines to see which configuration runs stable. In all cases I got a freeze after a time of 1 up to 4 h playing dvb-s2 ASTRA HD promoprogram.
    MediaPortal 0.2.3.0 does NOT support dvb-s2. only the TV-Server does this.
    so i guess you are using the TV-Server ?

be aware that there are 2 AstraHD Promo channels! ses-astra.com
    • one is broadcasted on TP - 102 in dvb-s2, MPEG-4 (which you can not receive with MP 0.2.3.0)
    • one is broadcasted on TP - 88 in dvb-s, MPEG-2

nevertheless, this is not the topic here.
    please send me the link of this thread you mentioned and i will have a look. :)
    Hi infinityloop,,
    here the link of my post with log files:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mp_crashes_tv_h264_after_while-t33718.html?t=33718
    BTW I use TV Engine to play dvb-s2 H264.
    I will thank you to give me an idea what is the problem.

Regards Andrew

tk4211

Portal Member
    July 24, 2007
    I love mediaportal!! Been using it on and off for at least 2 years now. Went to Media Center for a while, but I always come back :) It is a pain in the @$$ sometimes, but once you have it set up just the way you like it, it can't be beat!!!

dandirk

Portal Member
    January 29, 2007
    I am a new MP user, but long time HTPC enthusiast. I have looked at MP in the past both 6mo - 1 year ago, coming from myHTPC/meedio setups.

My HTPC config and needs are what I consider modest. DVD movies, DVD TV series, Mp3 all on a network server. Throw in a little weather but thats about it...

As a new user who is an experienced HTPCer and desktop admin (I install and test vendor created software for a living).

My experiences and problems are probably based mainly on my personal expectations brought from use of another HTPC system (Meedio).

At the same time, my "problems" seem at least to me to be very basic HTPC functionality and this is the reason for my frustration with setup. I just assume that since MP is still in development is should be similar or better then an defunct app like meedio. This is of course a unfair assumption but one I am still going to make.

These may be caused by the open source nature of the project. Also I have noticed a huge bias toward TV functionality. This can be understood, most apps just naturally lean toward one nitch or another...

My main example is how MP deals with Videos that made my MP experience frustrating so far...

Video DB functionality is just medicore at best. It features are even inconsistent with other areas of MP, like music. Music has an ignore prefix option, Video does not. Music can use custom images, Videos cannot (without tons of manual updating and editing), Music Views have the "group" operator which allow alphanumeric listing, videos do not. Importing is very limited and force file structures like Video_TS folders for DVD.

Maybe I am too used to Meedio but the ability to custom create virtually any type of import based off a very simple code structure that MP3 tagging apps have used for years is almost a must and I just don't understand it... but ok I can live with that, I created Video_TS folders for all 400 of my movies and recopied them not a huge deal, a 1 time change. So I spent hours doing that...

I then imported and looked at my movies... Covers were odd for a good number of them, looked into creating folder.jpg file like with Music, found out this only works for videos if you are using Share view. DB views only use covers downloaded from IMDB etc. Ok wondering why I can do this for music but not videos but ok, I found I can from within MP select different covers and such... But if they are all bad I have to find and replace files in thumbs folder... again more hours of work going through my collection. This is a pain, if MP changes DB or thumbs config I could have to do this ALL over again...

... moving on with setting up my videos... I then look and see that DB views based on title are using prefixes (The, A etc). Do some searching can't find an option to ignore this but there is one in the Music section???? I have 50-70 movies that start with "The" alone. No solution or even mention of this being an issue for other people. So again I spent an hour or so going through the manual DB edit tool just removing the word "The" from the beginning of movies.

Video Views... another feature that is in the Musc DB and not Videos is the Group view operator. I setup my music first and thought this was great I could setup my music to find all artists/albums that start with A, B etc. When I went to setup my movies that same way, found this feature was missing too... Not a huge deal, alphanumeric listings would be sweet but at least it doesn't force me to spend hours "fixing" it to the way I want it...

Sorry for the rant, just some things I ran into while setting up my fairly simple system that seems to be one of those things that should "just work"... Though thats me, I will setup the system and compare features with other solutions out there both free and pay (Meedio, DVDlobby, Xlobby, MP)

Just my perspective on my situation and install, maybe I am a minority or a user that MP was not intended for.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ... moving on with setting up my videos... I then look and see that DB views based on title are using prefixes (The, A etc). Do some searching can't find an option to ignore this but there is one in the Music section???? I have 50-70 movies that start with "The" alone. No solution or even mention of this being an issue for other people. So again I spent an hour or so going through the manual DB edit tool just removing the word "The" from the beginning of movies.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I still haven't figured out how to ignore "the" and "a", etc. from my movie titles. It was possible to do this in XBMC (Xbox Media Center - the predecessor of MediaPortal).

Nonetheless, I finally got TV working in MediaPortal, and having an all-in-one media center like MediaPortal is great!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The issues are known, thats why in MP2, everything is going to be consistant across every format.

Problem arises, because very few people read relevant posts, including the details.

Hopefully that may reassure you on what is happening in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom