Why I think I'm switching back to Media Center (1 Viewer)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    "...shutdown, restart and exit buttons..."

Is there any need for these buttons if not using a mouse?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    @mzemina,
    I use these buttons quite often with my MCE Remote. I can navigate to them from the main menu by using the left and right cursor keys.

rsbrux: Easiest way to avoid BHS is to map the "Start" button from "Switch home" to "Home".
    @Spragleknas,
    I tried this out on SVN 16156 (see atttached), but The Green Button (TGB) on my remote still switches between Home and BasicHome. Could this have something to do with the fact that I am using "MCE Replacement Tray" (so that I can also start MP with TGB, if it isn't already running)?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @mzemina,
    I use these buttons quite often with my MCE Remote. I can navigate to them from the main menu by using the left and right cursor keys.

rsbrux: Easiest way to avoid BHS is to map the "Start" button from "Switch home" to "Home".
    @Spragleknas,
    I tried this out on SVN 16156 (see atttached), but The Green Button (TGB) on my remote still switches between Home and BasicHome. Could this have something to do with the fact that I am using "MCE Replacement Tray" (so that I can also start MP with TGB, if it isn't already running)?
    this should be talked about in a different thread.

please stay on-topic :)
    :D

AddeBC

Portal Member
    October 11, 2007
    Im going the otehr way. MythTV. At least you get answers in there forums. Here i still have three unanswered topics...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Im going the otehr way. MythTV. At least you get answers in there forums. Here i still have three unanswered topics...
    sorry to hear, but it is simply impossible for us to answer every single thread started in the forums.
    if you got no reply, then mostlikley noone from the community had a clue either.

:)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I have several unanswered topics, too. It is in fact very frustrating. But I don't blame the people who are active in these forums because they give clues when they have any AND when they FIND your topic at all.

a) This is the problem here, there are new users everyday asking questions which have been asked 20 times before.

b) There also are many users who have several posts and still are not looking for an answer by searching just by just posting without considering.

c) Another problem is that due to a lack of searching and a lack of skill many users ask simply needless questions which could be avoided if they just would rtfm :)eek:). Every 5th "problem" is codec related, every 10th user is not able to handle the installation of MediaPortal and happily posts this instead of just reading the wiki.

They generate a lot of unnecessary spam which expands the forum beyond a chance for the few supporters to handle the really important topics. This is a problem which continues to grow exponentially...

-level20peon

AddeBC

Portal Member
    October 11, 2007
    I left a question in the support forum.

And i KNOW its a very simple question... How to use a Switch bigger than 4 ports... i have a 8 port switch.

ANyway too be a bit constructive in this thread i can say, i didnt find the setup too complicated it took me an hour too get media portal working with everything i need including MDAPI plugins.

So i have no problem there, but i think the community (not the admins) should get their act together and start helping more... Of all opensource projects ive been using this is the one with least help.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is a common problem of such projects. Veni, vidi, vici... users come, have a problem, get it solved and vanish... for as long as they don't have problems, they are happy, don't bother about the rest, period.

I am watching the Forum RSS feed when I have time but as far as I can tell there are not all new topics listed, I don't know why. I haven't seen yours, too. To be honest, I don't search the forum for new or unanswered topics besides having a look at the RSS feed. This is more than challenging already.

-level20peon

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    mzemina said:
    Is there any need for these buttons if not using a mouse?

In MP's current state, absolutely. My HTPC is a dedicated device, but sometimes I like to restart the box to refresh it (there still is a windows OS running on it remember...) and I like to hibernate it when not in use to conserve electricity.

AddeBC said:
    And i KNOW its a very simple question... How to use a Switch bigger than 4 ports... i have a 8 port switch.

you mean this question? https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=29497

I have no idea what you're asking and the thread has had 40 views in the span of 2 days. Maybe you're not getting any answers because nobody understands the question? Posting something more than two sentences is always in your best interest.

Complexity is something we really have to tame. With simplicity comes less questions, less confusion, and greater satisfaction with MP. Now that doesnt mean we have to strip down MP; instead we have to take the complexity away from the user and keep it behind the scenes. It's an enormous balancing act - take too much away and its not customizable enough for power users. Take nothing away and new users become confused and frustrated very easily.

Im a huge believer in the KISS philosophy - Keep It Simple, Stupid! - But some people are not. Sometimes I have to remind myself that innovation doesnt come without complexity. It's what you do after you innovate that is important to the end user. ;)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't mind a little tweaking, but it fails as a replacement, let alone an improvement.
    Networking seems to be non existent, videos are stored on other computers in LAN, I can play them
    fine in Media Center, I have to push them to my HTPC if I want to play them in MP. . :sorry:

I push media to MP from a Linux file server and any of several other machines to my network. All you have to do is map the drive to your HTPC, and tell MP to look there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom