Why I think I'm switching back to Media Center (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Also about the new RC, why release a new RC while the old RC is (imo) way better? Just for some new features?
    this is one of the posts i will never understand.........

its pretty amazing what some ppl can make up in der mind :D

you should realy take a look at the svn-log (svn-log not changelog) to find out what realy changed (and count the word "fixed" ;) ).
    befor you post something which is that wrong as your previous post.....

it would be also wise if you would read the thread, because i explained why new bugs pop up even if you only fix Bug X,Y,Z.

janbo

Portal Member
    October 28, 2006
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    it would be also wise if you would read the thread, because i explained why new bugs pop up even if you only fix Bug X,Y,Z.

SW developers who claim that if you only concentrate on bug fixes you will never create new bugs in other parts of the code are welcome to let me know what their secret is. I bet they could make a lot of money by writing a book about it or something.

I've seen all kinds of strange behaviour suddenly occur just because a bug fix was implemented in a commercial product. Please keep in mind the complexity of having to support so many hardware configurations. It is often difficult to foresee the implications of a simple bug fix.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

herr_howard

Portal Member
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is an interesting thread. I, too, am new to the HTPC arena, and the more programs I test (PowerCinema, CT-PVR, Got All Media, etc), the more I come back to Media Portal. I have a couple of 'grrs' related to support of the tuner card I have (MSI Digital@nywhere) and the EPG, but I was able to create a hardware definition that made my card work (thanks, graphedit!), etc. I'd love to use it full time, but I can't see a way of doing so without having a rock-solid US EPG. It's a little frustrating when I can install BeyondTV, give it a zip code, and have it automatically download the EPG no fuss, no muss. Granted, I have some similar problems with other programs in the same area.

I, for one, would love to see the EPG for the US just get rock-solid, simple and easy to use. Then this would be a no-brainer for me.

Otherwise, it's a great piece of software! I plan on monitoring the progress of this software and hope I can get it going as soon as possible!

rolls1400

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    With the demise of the zap2it service for the US I am seriously rethinking my MP usage, sadly.

I am a new user to mediaportal and am awaiting a capture card to make it complete. I read that zap2it no longer provides there service but i thought there were other services such as yahoo xmltv generator , schedules direct, etc.

I am based in the U.S. and am just wondering how easy/hard this epg setup/availability will be? Any help or comments?

Also I want to say thanks to MP!!!! I recently have been using a mediagate 35 but MP blows it out of the water.. Expect a donation soon!!!!

Andrew

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'd love to use it full time, but I can't see a way of doing so without having a rock-solid US EPG. It's a little frustrating when I can install BeyondTV, give it a zip code, and have it automatically download the EPG no fuss, no muss. Granted, I have some similar problems with other programs in the same area.

I, for one, would love to see the EPG for the US just get rock-solid, simple and easy to use. Then this would be a no-brainer for me.
    i think the "problem" there is that nearly all developers are from europe (no clue why there are so less from the US :confused: ), and we have only one dedicated tester from the US -> Asidie

there are many things different in the USA (thinking about NA/SA-Sats). But because of the latest efforts of our developers and Asidie with testing, things realy got better inside TV-Server.

BeyondTV is developed "for the US-market", so that one will definitly work better in some areas.

As far as i know, asidie has found a way to get EPG now that zap2it will stop its service. maybe he is willing to create a tutorial for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom