Why is Movingpictures using thumbs and not Fullsize covers for coverflow ?? (1 Viewer)

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I had made a topic about this in the StreamedMP section, but they said I had to ask it here, so here I am!

I am wondering is there is an option to let MovingPictures use the fullsize cover thumbs in stead off the small thumbs in coverflow..

The resolution of the thumbs are very low and because of that it doesn't look nice always on my 42" television.. When I paste the files from the fullsize thumb folder into the thumbfolder, the images in Mediaportal looking a lot better!

m3rcury has allready made a .bat file to copy the files from C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\FullSize to C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\Thumbs

But I was wondering if there is a better way to let the high resolution images show up in Mediaportal.. I have looked into the MovingPictures configuration, but don't no if I can configure it there..

Any suggestions??

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is an advanced setting called Cover Thumbnail Width that you can adjust to get bigger thumbnails in the future. I plan to add a slider in the plugin proper sooner or later.

And we have two sizes of the cover mainly for performance reasons. Also until the last year, artwork in the facade (filmstrip, thumbnailview, etc) was generally not displayed very large. So before coverflow came along the smaller images just meant snappier browsing with no downside.

For what it's worth I am also considering allowing the skin define what the size of thumbnails should be. How would you guys feel about that?

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There is an advanced setting called Cover Thumbnail Width that you can adjust to get bigger thumbnails in the future. I plan to add a slider in the plugin proper sooner or later.

And we have two sizes of the cover mainly for performance reasons. Also until the last year, artwork in the facade (filmstrip, thumbnailview, etc) was generally not displayed very large. So before coverflow came along the smaller images just meant snappier browsing with no downside.

For what it's worth I am also considering allowing the skin define what the size of thumbnails should be. How would you guys feel about that?

Hi fforde,

thanks for your reply.. I missed that setting.. :)

Why could I only set the width and not the heigth of the thumb? Is that because it will automaticly keep the ratio setting?

I think it would be nice to know how big the thumbs have to be for with skin.. Than you now for shure that the thumbs are not to big, but also not to small..

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    Glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I discover the thumbs width setting some time ago, it improves the looking of the coverflow but still I think the quality is not good enough, I see the covers washed out in colors and sometimes in very low quality. How can I change the quality of the coverflow thumbs?? I already tried with the advanced settings JPG quality but it seems not affecting the quality of the cover thumbs! thank you!

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I discover the thumbs width setting some time ago, it improves the looking of the coverflow but still I think the quality is not good enough, I see the covers washed out in colors and sometimes in very low quality. How can I change the quality of the coverflow thumbs?? I already tried with the advanced settings JPG quality but it seems not affecting the quality of the cover thumbs! thank you!

Hi sunfire7,

I don't have this problem.. After you changed the settings in movingpictures about the thumbs you have to delete the thumb files
    (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\Thumbs) first.. After that, movingpictures is generating new thumbs with the new settings automaticly wen you launch Mediaportal.. Are you shure you have done that?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    There is also a JPG Compression quality setting under Advanced Settings that is used for thumbnail generation. The initial value is set fairly high though.

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    Thank you powermarcel10 and fforde for the quick answer

Hi sunfire7,

I don't have this problem.. After you changed the settings in movingpictures about the thumbs you have to delete the thumb files
    (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\Thumbs) first.. After that, movingpictures is generating new thumbs with the new settings automaticly wen you launch Mediaportal.. Are you shure you have done that?

There is also a JPG Compression quality setting under Advanced Settings that is used for thumbnail generation. The initial value is set fairly high though.

Yes, I tried changing the JPG Compression Quality, I see the same low quality (and same size) for 5 or 100, it doesnt matter the number I put... and of course I delete the thumbs everytime. The weird thing is that in the past I used to get cover art from mymovies.xml and I did not have this problem, but since mymovies encripted its xml I am forced to use XBMC's NFO files, because the local search gives me super weird covers for some files and for others perfect... I can post screenshots if its hard to understand me! Thank you!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    The quality and size of the thumbnail has virtually nothing to do with the original image in this situation. Are you talking about the full size cover artwork? Full size artwork is generally unaltered so you get whatever quality your source provided.

sunfire7

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Mexico Mexico
    The quality and size of the thumbnail has virtually nothing to do with the original image in this situation. Are you talking about the full size cover artwork? Full size artwork is generally unaltered so you get whatever quality your source provided.

I'm talking about the thumbs, that are used in coverflow's view. If I set moving pictures to "look" for "cover.jpg" (wich is my original cover) sometimes the thumbs are right and sometimes not (super low quality). I'll post some screens later. For now I'm rolling back to a past mymovies version to get everything working, because if I use mymovies.xml to get the covers I can have quality thumbs all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom