why is NAS browsing that slow compared to windows explorer? (2 Viewers)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It might be mediainfo related. If the playback stutters, it's often either:

Corrupt database making MePo run as syrup or
    Mediainfo.dll picking up the incorrect framerate (if you're using Automatic Refresh Rate Changer)

I don't know how much data mediainfo gathers and what MePo does with it, but what if media length is incorrectly calculated?
    Emph

mansoniac

Portal Member
    March 19, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you tried mapping the network location as a drive?
    Yess. It was at first. No difference. Its also not movie related for browsing music is also slow.
    I think its tha MePo searches for file info, thumbs, whatever, which slows the browsing down compared to Windows Explorer.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My tipps (maybe not feasible)
    1. try use lan cable ;)
    2. try not to use smb proocol, just the network name of the nas, like \\*nas.name*\*path.to.media*

I use like this without problems. I dont use mapped drives as they not always reconnect on resume from standby.
    Hi kszabo,
    Do you have tips on what/how to setup a NAS per preference? I use a NAS as well, running on NAS4Free software. I have setup the CIFS/SMB server only, nothing else. These are the options I have: http://wiki.nas4free.org/lib/exe/fe...tup_and_user_guide_services.menu.services.png Did I choose the wrong one?

Yeah, the not reconnecting on resume is a typical MS bug. Really annoying. Combination of bad UAC + credential manager. In my case, using UAC fixes it, disabling it (with autologon) brings it back. Some workarounds like scripts etc, are available, but non from microsoft fixing their issue. :( Bad situation.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

As I see in the log. The MePo asked a password between 20:42:05 to 20:43:15, and showed the file list on 20:43:18.
    There are 218 movie files in that directory. We need to get/set the thumbnails, the stacking, the IMDB info on all movie files. I takes longer than just read 218 files as the Windows Explorer.
    You can seed up the browsing if you create some sub directory under this share or use 1Gb lan connection.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is a lot happening on that system and has been having issues for days.
    tvserver_TVService-Error.log is not only having issues with webepginporter
    Yesterday it could not get to the databse
    [2014-01-21 20:05:08,782] [Log ] [WebEPGImporter] [ERROR] - Exception :Error: DatabaseUnavailableUnclassified
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider MySQL) could not be reached.

Almost everything happening on this machine and or NAS is at the 20:00 hour

mansoniac

Portal Member
    March 19, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @regeszter: Thank you for the investigations. So this means, there´s is nothing i can do to just speed up browsing by setting certain parameters in MePo? Can´t i switch off thumbnails or IMDB data? So i will create subfolders. Grrl :)

@breese: I assume you´re talking about my log. But what are you saying ? I thought my system would run fine (except for slow NAS browsing). So: Whut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom