Why is timeshift dumped when rec starts (1 Viewer)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well it does say like a tivo. That's just giving potential users a context :)

It doesn't mean that every single feature is implemented or works exactly the same way. Take a look at all the available plugins and other non-tv features to see why MP does more than tivo :)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP can also stream live tv and recordings to other PCs all over your house :) Now thats pretty good

Schlidel

Portal Member
    February 2, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well it does say like a tivo. That's just giving potential users a context :)

It doesn't mean that every single feature is implemented or works exactly the same way. Take a look at all the available plugins and other non-tv features to see why MP does more than tivo :)

Well, when it says "Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more it implies that it has at least matched the tivo in terms of watching, scheduling, and recording live TV. After all in order to be more it has to first match it. The text is in reference to TV functionality not non-tv functionality.

Yes, the non-tv features kick ass, but the majority of my time spent on my system will be watching TV and in terms of TV features it's "similar to a Tivo, but less."

Or even just the TV side. Does TiVo support DVB-T/S/S2? Does TiVo allow recording of tens of different channels at once?

DVB-T/S/S2 support is irrelevant for a lot of people (like me) and so is recording ten channels at once... (I mean, really?)

The features I'm talking about would apply to everyone (and they don't know what they're missing).

MP can also stream live tv and recordings to other PCs all over your house :) Now thats pretty good

Tivo can stream recordings too... not live tv, but recordings was good enough for me.

-----------------

So much exotic functionality, but core DVR features aren't here...

I'm just so confused as how this could be... Does tivo exist outside of USA?

I know I sound like a hater, but I just had such high hopes for MP and now I've invested a lot of time and money just to run into a wall. :siiiigh:

(not to mention the crap that I'm going to receive after the missus is disappointed that I've convinced her to chip in on a more expensive, sub-par tivo)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    DVB-T/S/S2 support is irrelevant for a lot of people (like me) and so is recording ten channels at once... (I mean, really?)

Not for me :) It really depends on people or the uses cases. I have for example many times had five concurrent recordings running on some day and then it might be that there is nothing worth to record / watch for next few days. I usually don't watch anything directly from tv (news maybe) so I can skip the commercials and I have more time for developing the MP itself :)

DVB-T/S/S2/C are highly relevant for the majority of MP users (we are based mostly in Europe).

The features I'm talking about would apply to everyone (and they don't know what they're missing).

I wouldn't benefit from those features. So no, it doesn't apply to everyone. It depends higly how people use DVR. Few missing critical features for some person might be "I can live without those" / "I don't need at all".

As you can see, the required features are changing quite much based on the personal way of using DVR. I would personally put more emphasis on the R (recorder) part. It gives more freedom than timeshifting on the free time I have.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I'm just so confused as how this could be... Does tivo exist outside of USA?
    I don't think so, certainly doesn't exist in the UK any more. They first released the box here about 10 years ago, then it disappeared, they never updated it to use digital transmissions, so there is no point in it at all.

edit This would also suggest it doesn't exist outside the US: TiVo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the UK, you would use the phrase "Watch, schedule and record live TV - like Sky+, but more, and for free!"

alexchini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 30, 2006
    Venice
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: Similar problem - timeshift dumped

Similar problem: I watch a Film and after 10 Minutes I decide to record it completely. Push "rec", MP asks: record current program or untill manual stop. Say current program. But the recorded program will be stored only from LivePoint, not the rest from Timeshift.

This behaviour cold be changed also... Maybe 3 options should be shown:
    1. manual record (from livepoint untill manual stop)
    2. record untill current program ends
    3. record current program completely (from timeshift start untill program ends)

I could imagine though that this would be a bit too much for the HD (copy Timeshift into recorded file, simultaneously recording live) :confused:

I was thinking at the same problem few days ago as i supposed, before have test it, to get the record of the whole program when i push the "rec" if this is in the timeshift file.

So it should be really nice to have the 3rd option working.

umlaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Kumla
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: Similar problem - timeshift dumped

Similar problem: I watch a Film and after 10 Minutes I decide to record it completely. Push "rec", MP asks: record current program or untill manual stop. Say current program. But the recorded program will be stored only from LivePoint, not the rest from Timeshift.

This behaviour cold be changed also... Maybe 3 options should be shown:
    1. manual record (from livepoint untill manual stop)
    2. record untill current program ends
    3. record current program completely (from timeshift start untill program ends)

I could imagine though that this would be a bit too much for the HD (copy Timeshift into recorded file, simultaneously recording live) :confused:

I was thinking at the same problem few days ago as i supposed, before have test it, to get the record of the whole program when i push the "rec" if this is in the timeshift file.

So it should be really nice to have the 3rd option working.

+1 for the third option.
    I think this will eventually be possible to do this when this issue is fixed. 0002855: experimental feature "Recording from buffer" is nolonger working - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom