Why moderators are closing posts? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidoboy

Portal Pro
April 27, 2006
Spain
Ok, i understand that for some 'misterious' reason, there is no interest here in supporting SW cards (i 've began to think that the coder of that engine has gone...) but i think that this is no reason to close my poll without asking me, i do not use any ofensive laguage, i'm only talking with other users about a theme that i think is VERY IMPORTANT. There are a lot of us that think that the actual engine is very unstable and very incompatible with TV cards there is only a small benefits comparing with old engine...

I've seen discussions like that: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535 using 25 pages, and now you close mi post (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=15141)! It appears that actual coders of MP doesn't need any help and they know all without the opinions of the users. If coders are tired of supporting sw cards, then they can do programs like tic tac toe, with no hardware support... This project is going backwards... version 0.1.3 is amazing and now the actual version is less compatible, less stable. The worst thing is that i've seen that here there is no place for the suggestions of many users...

I'm so sorry...

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I agree!

Tried to get my SW-card supported a while ago.. no luck.
    the result was a lot of closed posts and unpleasant answers.

A while ago no (!) SW-based cards was supported... at least that has changed.

I got ridd of my SW-card and replaced it with a (rather expensive) PVR-350... no all is well (exept my wallet).

I mean; how many cards are HW-based, anyhow?

Please list'em!

Also; ppl buying pre-made HTPCs (from HP etc.) - most probably get a SW-based card - don't they?

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The 'misterious' reason for not supporting software cards is, it was more difficult to make a stable software, and also I (think) it took a lot of time to make all the tv-card running perfectly.

I think hw based cards has better picture quality as wel? But I am not shure.

I understand you are upsett when someone is closing your thread.
    It`s just that when a subject has talked about so much, and the developers have made up their mind, it seams unnecessary with another thread.
    You can post in the existing threads instead.

It`s very common for moderators to behave like this.

One question about amd vs intel on hw.no and the post is closed, user banned and kicked :p

Edit: have you tried a PM to the software guy?

Fidoboy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2006
    Spain
    Yep, and the worst thing is that they have a working code that supports sw based cards, if you don't believe me, just try 0.1.3 version... you will see the difference... I'm only requesting the SAME engine used in that version, i'm NOT requesting a new developing effort, there are more sw based cards users than hw based cards actually... They must listen to our request, a open source project must listen to users request to improve funcionality, etc... the thing is VERY simple... JUST include the old engine in new release, that's all... no new coding, no new support, just the SAME old and stable engine...

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Software based cards where never really supported. Mediaportal is made for hardware analog cards and dvb cards.
    The whole TV engine from 0.2.0 is made to have a single interface to support all the different brands of cards with time shifting. Also a lot of software cards are working with the new engine, but because it uses a more mondern technolagy approach you need a more powerfull cpu.

Going back to the old engine would be a disadvantage for al users who bought a decent TV card.

Also a Hauppauge PVR 150 MCE cost only 55 euro. So if you start saving 5 euro a week you can have one in a little over 2 months. In the mean time you can use the 0.1.3 version and when you have the pvr upgrade to 0.2.0 version.

Fidoboy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2006
    Spain
    aasmund Nordal said:
    The 'misterious' reason for not supporting software cards is, it was more difficult to make a stable software, and also I (think) it took a lot of time to make all the tv-card running perfectly.

I think hw based cards has better picture quality as wel? But I am not shure.

I understand you are upsett when someone is closing your thread.
    It`s just that when a subject has talked about so much, and the developers have made up their mind, it seams unnecessary with another thread.
    You can post in the existing threads instead.

It`s very common for moderators to behave like this.

One question about amd vs intel on hw.no and the post is closed, user banned and kicked :p

Edit: have you tried a PM to the software guy?

First, where this poll has been voted?? in wich thread??
    Second, Reason for not supporting sw cards? stable software? 0.1.3 version of MP does it, Linux does it, Nero Home (latest version does it), Windows Media Center does it, DScaler and many, many others and all of them are very stable i think.... There are A LOT of users currently using sw based cards...

Third, better picture quality? may be... but i think that is no reason to stop having support for sw based cards in MP

Fourth, is relatively easy to mantain two engines for tv into MP, it only need one developer for one engine and other for the new engine... and i repeat, engine for sw based cards is already done! and it works perfectly with my tv card!.. i only want to use the new plugins, skins, etc, with the same OLD engine for TV...

Fidoboy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2006
    Spain
    wortelsoft said:
    Going back to the old engine would be a disadvantage for al users who bought a decent TV card.

I agree with that... that's why i'm suggesting to use BOTH engines in the new release, and YES my sw card is supported in this new version, but with frame drops and out of sync sound (and using 70% CPU :eek: ) with 0.1.3 i can watch tv, using only 10% CPU power...

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Fidoboy,

The SW cards have always been a problem in MP.
    The main reason is that we do not get any support from the manufacturers from the cards. So we must use the basic interface of windows to these cards (explained simply).
    But, this performes way less than the using the manufacturers interface.

We can fix this ofcourse, like other apps seem to work ok.
    But, those apps weren't built in a year either. It takes a lot of time to make a stable and usable SW card solution. And even then it will prolly not work for all cards.

We tried it 2 times now. In the beginning of MP 2 years ago, and the new engine 1 year ago. But we simply cannot make it work nicely.
    So the choice was made, go hardware decoded all the way and focus all time on that. Or keep software card support as well and divide time of 1 developer.
    As We still have mainly 1 developer for TV.

So you see, it's basically time and manpower that caused the drop of this.
    And as flipger pointed out, it has been discussed sooo many times.

But, we are open source!
    So everybody can develop for MP. So find a programmer, start coding and upload the patch. It's not that we do not want it. It's just that we do not have the time. And the future is HW decoded anyway.

So why waste valuable time we can spend on the future on things from the past.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As there is no dev who could maintain those old SW-cards implementation, support has been removed. Only the old way has been removed in favour of more stability, cause it was unstable. The engine is still the same, there are no "two engines" who can run side by side, there has always been only ONE single engine.

And btw, it's not true that SW cards are not supported anymore. DMAN found a new way how those cards can be made working in MP. I guess you know this already, just for reference: News 1 and News 2.
    The fact that your sent in material remained untouched might be caused by the fact that DMAN does this stuff also in his sparetime. He's very busy atm with other (business) stuff that is not related to MP, so is Frodo.
    If you are really interested in getting your cards supported with MP, contact DMAN on IRC when he is there. Then you can give him the info he needs to put the monikers into the defs file and if that's not possible, he's gonna tell you the reasons why.
    On the forums those things might get lost cause the team members simply CAN'T read every single post. And mails get lost cause there are too many of them, it could happen that some get overlooked or something. No bad intention or whatever behind it.

Please respect the fact that this is a FREETIME project and the goals that have been set for it. You cannot say that the team does not respect user input or requests, that's simply not true. The fact that the thread has been closed remains uncommented by me cause I didn't close it. Useless to discuss it here, please concentrate on the essential stuff.

My 2 cents...

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    i can't second this at all. i also have an analogue card and, problems or not, i asked DMAN for integration and 2 days later the svn supported my card. look at the SVN changelog at the home site or join the developer mailinglist to see that there are almost every week several analogue cards added by dman

further i appreciate that the devlopers are looking forward to get the next full release up and running and this HAS to be the priority atm!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom