Why moderators are closing posts? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    This is realy getting out of controll... please; let's keep it civiliced.

I belive it boils down to the following;

Is MediaPortal a program for enthusiast only - or for the average joe also?

Reason: The average Joe dosn't have a HW-based card, since he didn't build his own machine.

From my exp. (from when I had a SW-based card), the "old" engine worked perfect - not the new one. Even so, I choose to empty my wallet, buying a used PVR-350 (Norway is an expencive country), just to continue testin MP.

Perhaps it would be possible to have the old engine as a plugin or a choice you do during install? Perhaps one can tempt ppl. to "converting" to HW-based cards by only offerign time-shifting for HW-based cards.

It would be great to have a list of recommended (HW) cards - as a link on the main site (and links on how to order and install).

Whatever oyu think of the above; take a chill-pill before answering :twisted:

EDIT: Diden't see Fidoboys answer when I posted - Even if one agrees or not with his requests, there is no need for talking crap.... argue for or against his arguement... or take a cold shower...

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    I think this discussion is more or less finished.

I think the major point is that HW encoding or DVB cards are the future and good HW encoding analog cards are no longer expensive (see Hauppauge PVR-150 or PVR-150MCE). @Okay sorry to hear about the cost of your 350!.

Ok I understand people are getting SW encoders free in systems, but there is a reason they are free. As most are very cheaply made and have limited capabilities. Which is the major problem with supporting them.

Also from my understanding there never really was an old engine/new engine. My understanding is that before SW cards couldn't timeshift, because it has a kind of hack. So it was changed to use the Software MPEG-2 encoders provided by the cards themselves and bring them inline with all the other cards. Making it easiler to support going forward.

/James

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom