Will converting backdrops to BMP improve performance? (1 Viewer)

vl002001

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    The BasicHome menu runs quite smoothly until it transitions to a new backdrop, after which it will lag at each change and then smooth out until the next transition.

Will converting all backdrops to uncompressed BMP's improve on this? or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks! Great work!

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Backdrops should transist very smoothly if you have a well configured and powerfull enough system. What is your current hardware?

mattroby

Portal Pro
    June 3, 2006
    Florida
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Converting to BMP

I have been wondering about this as well.

I have a fairly decent machine (AMD Phenom X3 with 4G mem) with no problems viewing any video.

There isn't much of a delay switching between the fanart, however, the machine works harder when showing the basic homescreen with the fanart than it does showing any other video.

Will converting all of those jpg images to bmp cut down on the apparent workload?

vl002001

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane Dual Core Processor 2.7Ghz
    GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ 5200 MHz PC2-8500
    4gb ram
    Vista x86

System seems like it would be powerful enough to handle it. but like i wrote earlier, when the transition happens, it gets choppy when you scroll. then it smooths out once you get through all of them, and gets choppy again at the next transition (if that makes any sense).

are there some configuration changes i can make to make it smoother?

e_razor

Portal Member
    July 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm not familiar with any settings that should impact this save there may be some backdrop transistion settings in StreamedMP (this is a guess from my side).
    Your hardware should certanly be more than able to run this smoothly. Weird problem, loading images really isnt a job that processors over 1000mhz should have problems with :p Viewing png files with a image viewing program for instance poses no problems i assume?

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I would think BMPs would be slower. BMPs tend to be larger than JPG files, so would take longer to load.

Save one of you backdrops as .bmp then double-click it in Explorer. You'll notice that it'll open faster than a jpeg. Just like any compressed files, they need to be "unpacked" to be viewed.

I know for a fact that having .bmp backdrops is recommended by for example XBMC, so I can't see any reason that MediaPortal should handle pictures differently than any other windows apps.

Emph

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    i didn't think there is any unpacking, like there is in a zip file.
    the compression is used to make the file and is set, the stuff that is thrown away during compression can never be retrieved

although i'm not sure why BMP's would open any quicker, unless as a native windows file format windows handles them better

ftothe3

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    emphatic is right. bmp would load faster than jpg because it's uncompressed. rendering time is less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom