Operating System Win 8 1.3 and delay in startup (1 Viewer)

markrb

Portal Pro
April 22, 2006
Is there a way to get rid of the delay at the desktop in Windows 8 with auto start enabled in MP 1.3?
I don't have TV server installed or anything, but the most basic MP installation and there is about a 5 second or more delay at the desktop screen before MP starts.
When I ran Win 7 and MP 1.2.X there was no delay in MP start up.

Thanks,
Mark

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/decrease-windows-8-desktop-apps-loading-time

Win8 delays the start of desktop apps as it is designed to start in the Start Screen and apps there should be ready first.

Sure when bypassing the Start Screen this becomes an annoyance.

As these are really system settings there is no plan to fiddle with these registry keys inside MP at the moment. Especially as such stuff conflicts with the wide usage of tools like Classic Shell for example.

Event automatically bypass the start screen will not make it into MP because of conflicts with such apps and we would end up checking if they are already doing something.

Also check out: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103

It bypasses the start screen way faster than classic shell. You hardly see the Start Screen at all, beside a quick flicker. It is quite dirty from an implementation point of view (reverse engineered it a bit, as it has nil documentation what it is doing) but it works nicely.

Last edited:

markrb

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2006
    I did both of the things you suggested and while it seems to get to the desktop a little faster MP 1.3 still takes about 10+ seconds from the desktop to start.
    Is there anything I can do further to reduce the delay? I would really like it to look, if possible, as there is no desktop running behind.

Thanks,
    Mark

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Look like it. MS added the GPO setting only available in a AD domain for Win8 to Win 8.1 as a general setting. No need for hacks anymore, regardless which one you choose. There are enough.

Also it is currently inconsistent in Win8 itself. AutoPlay for example on boot will jump to the Desktop as it is Focus Stealing.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Just a quick question: using latest W8.1 and MP1.6, is it already working to boot directly into MP and bypass Metro and have to wait additional startup time? Is it working as it is basically as with W7?
    Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom