Win7: MP Installer doesn't recognize the new DirectX (1 Viewer)

heikoh

Portal Pro
September 5, 2007
Hi dear developers,

I've been using MP for a long time now.
I tried to install brand new MP 1.0.1 Client on Win7 x64.

However, installer crashes on DirectX, telling me that I have to get Direct X 9c August 2008...
Win7 has DirectX 11 built in...

After a lot of trying I turned back to the Installer of MP 1.0.0
=> no problem installing at all.
Installers gives me a green light for Direct X and even WMP11.

So this can only be a minor problem in the Direct X detection,
which should be solved for MP 1.0.2
=> thus MP can be Win7 compatible!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Heiko

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Please check requirement page before posting non bugs on unsupported OS....

Regards
    Roy

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Hi ronilse,

I of course checked req.page, and I know that Win7 is NOT supported.

However, how can you explain that MP100 installer runs smoothly, MP101 installer however just crashes (on the same Win7-system).
    My MP100 now runs just fine under Win7 with DirectX 11, where MP101 won't even let me install!!!

I'm not a programmer, but I think that this can't be too big a problem.

Maybe you should integrate a command line switch in the installer that allows you to overwrite installer decisions, e.g. to just overwrite installer's decision to uninstall a Direct X version...

Regards,

Heiko

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    However, how can you explain that MP100 installer runs smoothly, MP101 installer however just crashes (on the same Win7-system).

Pretty simple, we were distributing some DirectX DLL files with 1.0.0 installer (which we aren't allowed to distribute). Now for 1.0.1 you need to download the same DLLs manually.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Maybe you should integrate a command line switch in the installer that allows you to overwrite installer decisions, e.g. to just overwrite installer's decision to uninstall a Direct X version...

So that instead of complaining that it won't install on an unsupported OS, people will then complain that it doesn't work on an unsupported OS.

Sorry, I don't mean to cause offense. However, there is a reason an unsupported OS is unsupported. I'm sure the team will sort out compatibility/support once Windows 7 is released.

Mark

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    tourettes:
    Thank you, that is the explanation I was looking for :)
    For future use can you tell (or PM me) the .dlls that need to be provided manually?

I will try to install MP101 over MP100 on Win7, maybe that way the now missing dlls will still be there...

@eliottmc:
    Yes, you're right. Unsupported is unsupported.
    However, it's a little bit unlucky to just call Win7 unsupported when there is a way to make it work that easily
    (don't know if that is also true for a MP server install, but for client, it works just fine...)

Best regards,

Heiko

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Boogie2005:
    Yes, I thought of that,
    than hesitated, as Win7 bringts a newer Version (DirectX 11).

So will DirectX 11 be overwritten or will it coexist?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    heikoh

DX9 updates coexist with DX10 on Vista, so cannot see why not same on Win 7.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    @eliottmc:
    Yes, you're right. Unsupported is unsupported.
    However, it's a little bit unlucky to just call Win7 unsupported when there is a way to make it work that easily
    (don't know if that is also true for a MP server install, but for client, it works just fine...)

Hi,

I do fully understand where you are coming from. It might be easy to get it to work "fine". However, most people who get windows 7 to work in this way will then complain if something crashes/doesn't work as expected. Chances are, this will be down to a conflict with the OS, and such bug reports will waste the very limited time of the team. It's easy to say that anyone using any sort of hack to get MediaPortal to work on an unsupported system should not then report bugs, but it doesn't tend to work out that way.

That's why I would discourage the use of MP on unsupported systems.

Honestly, it's best to wait until the team decide that windows 7 becomes a supported platform, which will be as soon as a few team members start using and testing MP under windows 7, and making sure there are no real problems.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom