[solved] Windows 10: TMT6, VitualCloneDrive & Mount Issues. (1 Viewer)

luci5r

Portal Pro
May 30, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm on MediaPortal 1.13.

Recently upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64. Prior to this upgrade, and for years now, I have been using the VirtualCloneDrive + ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre combination to play my Blu-ray ISO images. Everything had been working flawlessly.

Everything changed after upgrading to Windows 10. The problem is not MediaPortal, it's Windows 10, but I'm hoping someone experienced here can help.

VirtualCloneDrive seems to cause a now very popular BSOD in Windows 10 which comes up with an error: "CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION". This is a very well known problem with no solution from Microsoft or SlySoft. Some people are fortunate and don't get this error, unfortunately I am not.

Therefore I had to remove VCD from my Windows 10 HTPC.

This may not have been an issue since Windows 10 is able to mount ISO images natively, and very interestingly, MediaPortal 1.13 now supports native ISO mounts in Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 without the use of third party virtual drive applications.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 seems to have a strange quirk in its ISO mounts. Apparently, the ISO's mounted by Windows 10 aren't recognized as "Video Discs" by ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. In other words, althout the ISO mounts natively in Windows 10 and you can see the ISO mounted as a Disc/Folder, and you can browse the contents and even play video files individually - for some odd reason that I can't explain - TotalMedia Theatre or any other Disc Player does NOT SEE this mounted folder as a Disc and therefore refuses to play as a Disc. If I were to use VirtualCloneDrive, this doesn't happen and there's no problem - TotalMedia is able to play it as a disc.

So,

I can't use VirtualCloneDrive because of the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD.
I can't use the native Windows 10 mount for ISO's cause they are not recognized as Videos Discs.
I can't use built-in MediaPortal Blu-ray Player because of no 3D & no BD-J support.

Short of reformatting & reverting back to Windows 8.1 ... I'm not sure what to do here. At a loss!!

Hoping someone can help.

Notes:

Screenshot of what TotalMedia Theatre (MCE or Full App) does when you try to play a mounted Blu-ray ISO using Windows 10:

W101.png

Screenshot of the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD caused by VirtualCloneDrive in Windows 10:

W102.jpg

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya

Have you considered trying Daemon Tools or some other virtual drive solution?

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Heya

Have you considered trying Daemon Tools or some other virtual drive solution?

Although I haven't personally tried Daemon Tools, the write-up/info you get on the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION on Windows 10 talks about Virtual Drive applications that use SPTD drivers. It isn't specific to VirtualCloneDrive, it's more or less specific to third party virtual drive applications. My assumption is Daemon Tools will produce similar BSOD's.

There is one argument to be had. SlySoft's VCD doesn't actually claim Windows 10 compatibility. Whereas Daemon Tools did recently release a new version which is indeed Windows 10 compatible. It may or may not produce the BSOD's, however, I'm not quite ready to jump and spend $30 to try it out though.

Outside of that, I'm not aware if MediaPortal even supports anything besides VCD & DT. I'm really not aware of any other options.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...however, I'm not quite ready to jump and spend $30 to try it out though.
    Daemon Tools Lite is 3.99 for 3 PCs with lifetime free updates... or free if you're willing to accept "partner offers". Does that change your decision?

Outside of that, I'm not aware if MediaPortal even supports anything besides VCD & DT. I'm really not aware of any other options.
    I think we currently only support the 3 that you've mentioned - VCD, DT and W8.1+ native.

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    ...however, I'm not quite ready to jump and spend $30 to try it out though.
    Daemon Tools Lite is 3.99 for 3 PCs with lifetime free updates... or free if you're willing to accept "partner offers". Does that change your decision?

I think we currently only support the 3 that you've mentioned - VCD, DT and W8.1+ native.

Hmm, Let me try the newest Windows 10 compatible DT Lite for free first. If it works, I'll shell out the $3.99.

Appreciate the help. I'm still trying to figure out what's so odd about Windows 10's image mounting that makes it appear NOT as a Video Disc to TotalMedia. Very odd!!

EDIT1: One note I'd like to add in regards to the problem of Windows 10 mounted images not being recognized by TMT6 as Video Discs. This problem is only with Blu-ray ISO images, not with DVD ISO Images. DVD ISOs work absolutely fine. I don't know if it's a file size issue or some structural issue.

EDIT2: Well, made an interesting discovery. The problem with Windows 10 mounted images is exclusive to ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre, Apparently both VLC & MPC-HC were able to play the Blu-ray ISO Images flawlessly!! Only TotalMedia says "Not a valid video disc". This puts a different spin to my tale. Instead of looking for & installing some third party virtual drive tools, and risking CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD's, i'd rather replace ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre and using the Windows 10 / MediaPortal NATIVE disc image mounting.

Is there a good alternate to TotalMedia Theatre that does 3D Blu-ray and can be integrated into MovingPictures?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is there a good alternate to TotalMedia Theatre that does 3D Blu-ray and can be integrated into MovingPictures?
    Pass - no answer from me as I've never used TMT or BD 3D (so don't understand your expectations well), and nor have I used MovingPictures.

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Well, for anyone interested (or still looking to suggest help), I'm running with another theory. There are confirmed reports of ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre NOT being compatible with Windows 10, and a "ArcCtrl.Sys" driver file that it installs causing BSOD's in Windows 10.

People have switched to PowerDVD Ultra 15 which is Windows 10 compatible to cure their BSOD's. I'm going to give that a shot. Will post back here.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    TMT is unfortunately discontinued by Arcsoft as I've read so it's not so strange it have compatibility issues :(

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country
    TMT is unfortunately discontinued by Arcsoft as I've read so it's not so strange it have compatibility issues :(

You are 100% correct.

As it turns out, my CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD's in Windows 10 were NOT being caused by Virtual Drive software. Apparently, this was being caused by ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre itself. TMT installs a driver in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers called "ArcCtrl.Sys". This driver is not compatible with Windows 10 and causes the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION BSOD's.

It was never VirtualCloneDrive. Once I uninstalled TMT6, all my BSOD's ceased and the system has been running perfectly fine.

However, I have stumbled onto a new issue. The only known alternate to TMT6 with 3D Blu-ray ISO/Folder playback capabilities is Cyberlink PowerDVD. The latest PowerDVD 11 Ultra is fully compatible with Windows 10.

For whatever reason, I'm having a very strange issue with it. It's playing 50% of my BD ISO's. For all others, it just gives a generic error:

"This type of disc is not supported."

All of these BD rips were playable in TMT6. I have no idea why PowerDVD refuses to play some of them. I have compared the good ones against the bad ones and I can't for the life of me see any difference of any kind. They are all ripped the same way and work fine in all other BD Software. I can't resolve this.

This is no longer a BSOD issue or a Virtual Drive issue. I just can't get PowerDVD to play all my BD ISO's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom