Windows 7 - Sorry MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

AlienAndy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Nuneaton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I'm sorry to say that after the last few years of being a huge MediaPortal fan, I have had to go to Windows 7 MCE. I have no choice as for one thing MediaPortal does not officially support Windows 7 (even though you can still get round installing it), and secondly you can't use the Microsoft MCE remote with it even when you force install MediaPortal!! The last thing I'm gonna do is start walking over to my keyboard just to select options on the TV.

So come on MediaPortal creators, get this situation sorted as I love my beloved MediaPortal, no matter how nice Windows 7 MCE is! At least sort out the remote issue. Pleeeeeeeeeease!?
    :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi AlienAndy.

I think that your criticism (thats how I read it anyway) is kinda strange, considering the fact that Windows 7 is not even public yet.

MediaPortal just went final, and devs are working hard to a) fix more bugs for 1.0.1 and b) implement new features (hopefully without braking it :D).

We are already supporting:
    # Windows XP 32-bit Edition
    # Windows Media Center Edition 2005
    # Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
    # Windows Vista 64-bit Edition

Now - consider the differences in these OS (like VMR/EVR!), I think the devs are doing a damn good job! (For free :)).

Also: First complaining about MP not working on Win7, then complain that the MCE remote does not work in MP in Win7 is even stranger.

pharaohamps

Portal Member
    May 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had initially set up my second HTPC with W7 (build 7000) and I had the same issues as the OP. For me, MCE is much worse than MP, so I reformatted the PC with XP Pro and it's working great.

I don't use MP on any machines that I also do desktop work with, so having the extra features / UI improvements of W7 is not important on an HTPC to me. I love MP and will continue to use it for the forseeable future. When W7 is released, I'm sure the MP developers will work to get it running nicely - for right now, I don't think W7 is a good choice for an HTPC regardless of the interface software you choose.

AlienAndy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Nuneaton
    Home Country
    Hi AlienAndy.

I think that your criticism (thats how I read it anyway) is kinda strange, considering the fact that Windows 7 is not even public yet.

MediaPortal just went final, and devs are working hard to a) fix more bugs for 1.0.1 and b) implement new features (hopefully without braking it :D).

We are already supporting:
    # Windows XP 32-bit Edition
    # Windows Media Center Edition 2005
    # Windows Vista 32-bit Edition
    # Windows Vista 64-bit Edition

Now - consider the differences in these OS (like VMR/EVR!), I think the devs are doing a damn good job! (For free :)).

Also: First complaining about MP not working on Win7, then complain that the MCE remote does not work in MP in Win7 is even stranger.

Obviously I appreciate the work that goes into this! Jeez! Goes without saying. Which is why I am a donator!

I know that Windows 7 is not officially released yet, however, there is no harm in having software ready now for it's release. Besides, it won't be that much longer now until it IS released!

Your comment about me 'complaining' about not working on Windows 7 then about how the MCE remote don't work?? What didn't you understand from my post? As I've already stated before, you can force MediaPortal to install on Windows 7 (which you have to do at present if you want it!), but what is the point when afterwards you find that the Microsoft MCE remote don't work fully anyway! What don't you understand?

pharaohamps: If I had a seperate htpc then I would do exactly what you said. Basically using XP or whatever for the media centre, but as I use the main pc for this, there is no way I'm going back to XP, even worse, Vista! The Media Centre software that comes with Windows 7 is working perfectly okay for me, however my true love is MediaPortal. Superb software and some great programmers behind it. Just think that with Windows 7 drawing nearer, it might now be worth while getting this software ready.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hmmm.... You're right - I'll strike:
    ... so I guess that leaves it too the remote not working being you (major?)problem with Win7+MP?

bazzz

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Having played with Vista and Windows 7 a little, I can't see that they're any better than XP in any useful sense. I guess the UI might look a bit prettier. Personally I prefer the speed and utility of the Windows Classic theme with "effects" switched off. I know there's a tendency amongst "enthusiasts" to upgrade to the latest, greatest thing, but sometimes it's worth thinking about what you actually want to do. If you've got something that works, why break it?

AlienAndy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Nuneaton
    Home Country
    Hmmm.... You're right - I'll strike:
    ... so I guess that leaves it too the remote not working being you (major?)problem with Win7+MP?

Spot on mate.

I'll just have to wait until Windows 7 is actually 'out' before MediaPortal is sorted.
    Not exactly a life threatening problem not using MediaPortal, but I just love it so much!
    I miss it! sob..sob..
    :D

Bazzz: Good points there mate. Makes perfect sense. To us here, we need the best we can get, and at this moment in time Windows 7 is that! (Apart from the niggle that started this post! lol)

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Don't understand this, I'm running MP 1.0 on Win7 (build7057) right now and it's the best it has ever been for me.
    I am not running the TV server, that runs on another machine but the client works wonderfully.

MCE remote, VFD and all that is just fine.

confused!

AlienAndy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Nuneaton
    Home Country
    Don't understand this, I'm running MP 1.0 on Win7 (build7057) right now and it's the best it has ever been for me.
    I am not running the TV server, that runs on another machine but the client works wonderfully.

MCE remote, VFD and all that is just fine.

confused!

I have only just started using this build, was using an earlier one when I tried MediaPortal. So I'll have another butchers!

Thanks mate.

Fingers crossed!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    My little play with Win7, remote worked for me too :confused:

Could not see any major advantage over Vista though, but then I don't have all vista's security baggage running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom