Windows 8.1: MP will reduce window to part of the screen size during useage (1 Viewer)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    --> This is for MP 1.5, the Version selector does not have 1.5 yet.

When using MP 1.5 on a Windows 8.1 system with DPI scaling set to not being 100% for all monitors (Win 8.1 default is different as Win 8.1 supports different DPI per monitor), MP will initially start covering the whole screen and after some usage (different, usually with a few minutes) will snap to a smaller size (depends on DPI settings, either 100/125, 100/150, 100/200). There is no way except restarting MP to get back to the original size.

not-ok-png.137821

There is a workaround, setting Win 8.1 to DPI scaling or all monitors to 100%. Solution would be to make MP Multi-Monitor DPI aware (see this paper from MS http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=307061).

Log file in Debug mode reproducing the issue: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/mediaportallogs_20_10_13__16_56-zip.137820/

Steps for Workaround:
    1. Go To Control Panel, Appearance & Personalization, Display
    2. Enable "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"
    3. Choose Radio Button "Smaller (100%)"
    4. Log Off/Log On

P.S.: Can provide additional debugging feedback

Steps to Reproduce:
    On Windows 8.1
    1. Set DPI to be Windows Controlled (not one DPI for all monitors) and set DPI slider to larger
    2. Start MP, not it should occupy the whole screen
    3. Browse the MP GUI (I used Pictures) for a while
    4. MP will snap to a reduced size as seen in the screenshot above.

Last edited by a moderator:

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Developers : I believe this to be an issue for anyone on Windows 8.1, since the default DPI Settings for most 1080p Displays are not 100% in Windows 8.1. Could someone please have a look and check how MP can be made aware of the monitor specific DPI settings and how MP can start getting the correct resolution.

There are at least 5 threads on this issue with quite a few people having this issue.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Sebastiii
    I finally had time to test.
    Tried it on my production system with MP1.5 + w8.1 and slider to large dpi. No issue after 15 minutes of scrolling
    Tried it on my not so production system with MP1.5 current master (sixth build) + w8.1 and slider to large dpi. No issue after 15 minutes of scrolling and going through the menu... :(
    Good in both situations though...

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ill test tonight what effect the thumbnail creation on/off has. I had it disabled on the 1.5final build for other testing.

will post logs this time.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Seb,

I tested it with the dpi settings to large, thumb creation on again. still same result. no crash/half/screen stuff what so ever.
    this is with 1.5 final. logs attached. IS this good enough for you like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom