Windows Vista phasing out (1 Viewer)

the1

Portal Pro
February 8, 2009
Home Country
Hi,

There has been a lot of publicity surrounding Windows 10 lately and I am still reluctant to upgrade. Firstly, I am still very happy with how my Vista is going and also I am not even sure if my HTPC meets the minimum requirements for Windows 10.

However, the free upgrade offer is tempting.

How much longer will MP support Windows Vista?

Whether I upgrade to Windows 10 or not is all up to Team MediaPortal! :cool:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I am not even sure if my HTPC meets the minimum requirements for Windows 10.
    If it can run Vista, it can most likely run Windows 10 - and might even be faster. There is no risk in upgrading as you can revert to your old system during 30 days.

How much longer will MP support Windows Vista?
    Support for Vista will end April 11, 2017.

the1

Portal Pro
    February 8, 2009
    Home Country
    I was under the impression that the free upgrade offer applied only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Has Vista been added to the list? (I also use Vista for my HTPC.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

I was going to upgrade from one of my Windows 7 licenses that I had from a while back.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    If it can run Vista, it can most likely run Windows 10
    I have an old PC with Intel Pentium D 820. Windows 7 x64 is successfully running on it. I wanted upgrade to win 10 and received an error message "CPU not supported". I googled a bit and found that starting with win 8 the CPU must support PAE, NX, and SSE2:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
    And in my case the Pentium D 820 doesn't support at least PAE. So, before upgrade check, if your CPU support these instructions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom