WinLIRC Plugin (outdated) (1 Viewer)

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
When I was takling about microprocessors I was talking about in the reciever.

You can use any remote you want.

What WinLIRC does is watch the serial port (where you have an IR sensor hooked up) and when it notices a pattern that you have programmed in, it sends the command to any clients listening. This plugin is a client, and as such it is able to recieve the messages from WinLIRC.

I would suggest just ordering one of these (url removed) if you want to try it out.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I was just about to, but I just called and they told me it would be $14.50 to ship it here. . .I think tekgems ends up shipping much cheaper. I should have ordered one before. . .when I first looked at that item a couple weeks ago.

Btw, wouldn't it be better to have just a generic windows listener could work with any programs. . .?

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
What like Girder? Yes it would be, but I was interested in learning how to write a plugin ;) and I don't like the fact that Girder isn't free.

Its very easy to get the messages from WinLIRC, then with a few lines of code you can do what ever you want on the local PC.

Perhaps there is even one out there? The nice thing about this plugin is that it reads in you key mappings so it makes it a bit easier to setup, I guess. Again, I was trying to figure out how to write a plugin :)

A

Anonymous

And it is a great plugin! :) I have just wondered why I didn't see any generic listeners for windows . .the only main listener I have seen has been the one for Winamp. . .and at this point, I dont' use winamp. Yes, I don't like the way Girder isn't free anymore either. . .

Thanks, you have made it so that winlirc can actually control what i want it to. . .MP. :)

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
And we can make a generic .exe version of the plugin too, which would allow you to run the plugin standalone, so you can open Media Portal, and control other applicaitons with your remote.

I think likely the best way to do this is to have the plugin open .vbs scripts, so that users can script to their hearts content what they want to do with their remote.

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Hi Jadz,
sounds great what u r doing.
One question: Is it possible to it the other way around too?
Means I want to control lat's say my Stereo from within MP with an IR Transmitter.
When I push the My Radio button I would like the Stereo to be switched on automatically.
Would be cool if this was possible...
thanx again for the work u do :D
cheers
cheffe

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
cheffe97 said:
Is it possible to it the other way around too?
Means I want to control lat's say my Stereo from within MP with an IR Transmitter.

It sure is. To build a transmitter you just need an IR LED and a resistor see this page for more details, or to do it properly hook the IR LED up to an amplifier like this

better_transmitter.gif

(please do see the above linked page for more details).

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
thanx for the reply. I was more focussing on the software part of it.
I plan to buy an IR transceiver where I can do both, control MP with remote.
But the question is: Is it possible the the plugin gets whatever is pressed in MP (i.e. MyRadio on Homepage) and converts it to a code that winlirc knows and emitts the according IR code.
First I don't know if Winlirc can do this and
Second I don't know if your plugin could do that in the future...
cheers
cheffe

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
cheffe97 said:
Is it possible the the plugin gets whatever is pressed in MP (i.e. MyRadio on Homepage) and converts it to a code that winlirc knows and emitts the according IR code. First I don't know if Winlirc can do this and Second I don't know if your plugin could do that in the future...
cheers cheffe

Though I'm sure it is possible, I do not know how to query Media Portal for its current state or to have Media Portal send events to plugins.

If your transciever is compatible with LIRC then the plugin can send commands.

So to answer your question, yes I'm sure it can be done, no I don't know how to do it yet (how to get the state of Media Player from Media Player).

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Hey,
that's what I expected. Good to hear it can be done.

I do not know how to query Media Portal for its current state or to have Media Portal send events to plugins.
Maybe one of the dev team can give an advice?

Don't worry this is a minor thing for now. Would just be cool to hear that I am not the only who is interested in having that.
Maybe in the future...
thanx again for your work!
cheffe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom