WinTV-HVR-950Q and QAM mapping in US? (1 Viewer)

BigB42078

Portal Member
January 1, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: Avalon
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU Type: AMD dual core 2.6
HDD: WD 1TB Black Edition
Memory: 8GB
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia 9800+
Video Card Driver: 285.62
1. TV Card: WinTV-HVR-950Q
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: 1.95.28113.0
MPEG2 Video Codec: MainConcept
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MainConcept
h.264 Video Codec: Coreavc

These channels are available in clear QAM in my area
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:63303#sidebyside

My WinTV-HVR-950Q works fine with atsc OTA, but I only get like 6 digital QAM channels and they are all basic digital and not HD. I get like QVC, EWTN, TVGUIDE, and LUTV. Do I have to map HD channels manually? If so how do I do it? Is there a patch that will make it scan right? I could probably get by with OTA ATSC, but I want TBS HD. By the way I get pretty much the same channels with WinTV 7.:confused:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi BigB42078

My WinTV-HVR-950Q works fine with atsc OTA, but I only get like 6 digital QAM channels and they are all basic digital and not HD. I get like QVC, EWTN, TVGUIDE, and LUTV. Do I have to map HD channels manually? If so how do I do it? Is there a patch that will make it scan right? I could probably get by with OTA ATSC, but I want TBS HD. By the way I get pretty much the same channels with WinTV 7.:confused:
    You shouldn't have to create any channels manually although you do have that option as a last resort. I don't recommend it since it is unlikely that attempting to add channels manually would result in a successful outcome. That WinTV and TV Server scan results roughly agree suggests that signal for the channels that you're missing is too weak or that you're not scanning the right frequencies.

I take it you've tried scanning with all of the different QAM standard options?

Are you able to post your logs so I can take a quick peak and see what is going on?

Log Files - MediaPortal Wiki

(please follow the instructions for non-reproducible problems)

mm

BigB42078

Portal Member
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Here are the logs if I did them right, If it is the cable signal, how do I fix that? We have a powered splitter that Charter installed with 8 outputs attached straight to the Main (home run) line. And then straight to the tv's.:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Here are the logs if I did them right...
    Yep, you did them perfectly - thanks :D

If it is the cable signal, how do I fix that? We have a powered splitter that Charter installed with 8 outputs attached straight to the Main (home run) line. And then straight to the tv's.
    First thing I should say is make sure that you're only using the tuner in one program at a time. Both Hauppauge and MediaPortal have background processes running all the time that will attempt to use the tuner. Running both bits of software may cause problems. With that said, I don't think that is the problem in this case...

I'm wondering how you're getting both ATSC and cable channels. Do you have two different connections (one ATSC, one cable) to the tuner that you were swapping when you scanned? If not then is it possible that Charter has merged the OTA ATSC signals and cable signals into one cable with the powered splitter (or any other equipment that they might have installed)? I ask that because it seems like you're able to receive high frequency cable channels without too much problem (although maybe signal is a little weak). The real issue seems to be with the lower frequency channels that are in the same frequency range as ATSC signals. If charter has combined ATSC and cable into one cable for you then you'll be able to receive ATSC but not the lower frequency clear QAM channels that you want.

mm

BigB42078

Portal Member
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    I have two connections going to my pc. One is from a Channel Master Antenna in the attic. And the other is Charter connection. I was connecting one or the other coax to try to see what I could get with each connection. I'm not sure about the tv service thing yet, I have been resetting TV Service in the services panel every time I open a program. Until I figure out how to shut off Wintv services.:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmmm, well I'm not sure what is going on then. I take it you're able to receive all the channels fine on your TV(s). Are you able to test scanning with the feed to the splitter plugged directly into the 950Q? I also note that you seem to have another "digital tv" tuner in the TV Server. Is that tuner able to receive the channels?

mm

BigB42078

Portal Member
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    A little update, Charter is coming out in a few weeks to put a bigger line on the house. Our signal is low and the HD channels have been micro freezing on even the Motorola HD receivers. Not a whole lot, but enough to be annoying. So I will test to see if my 950Q works after we get a better line to the house. I had actually forgotten that when they came out and installed the multi room DVR. Installer said they would have to run a new, bigger line under the street and to the junction box. My neighbor already has the bigger one, it’s orange and like at least 4 times thicker then our line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom