ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    there are already lot of discussions ongoing, it seems that there won't be any WMC with Windows 10 any more. As I also use it for every-day-usage (My TV tuner does not work with TVE3) and I can say in terms of usablity and stab ility especially with TV-tuner it is still the #1! In terms of plugin varity and potential for modifications it is behind MP I think.

Generally there is a big potential to pull lot of WMC users to MP2!! Those users may partly see WMC as reference and always compare MP2 with WMC. To win them for us it would be a good chance to create a skin, that is close to WMC style to make the switching users feel save and comfortable. Once it is installed and they feel good, they might start to change skins and play around with settings.

What do you think about this? Are there copyrights on a WMC like skin or could we take it over more or the less (of course not 100% the same images etc.)?

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have never heard of any copyrights on UI design, as long as you don't copy artwork (like images) or if there are patents on some special UI design elements.

Since I'm currently using WMC too on my HTPC, and my family can use it easily I would greatly appreciate an WMC like skin.
    I also like the simple to use and quick to navigate main menu.
    Even my wife and kids (who can not really read yet) can easily use it. Specially for them the recordings and EPG pages, as well as remote key assignment should be highly compatible. With recording I mean the media library (which are mainly the only things in there in my WMC machine), and how you start continue and delete items there.
    If you start to implement this skin I could assist you on the coding side again. My available time should go up in the coming weeks (at least I hope so).
    Music and other stuff are really used so far by us, so I would not care if these parts would be a bit different.
    But specially the remote key usage is quite grate in WMC I think. I guess that a lot of the difficulties in MP2 remote usage comes from semi optimal placed buttons, so it's not quite clear which button is focused next. Since WMC has a very straight design, I guess this will work good with MP2 too.

I was browsing through the MS patents with the quick search term "media center", and there are a ton of results like:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...r=3&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1="media+center"&OS="media+center"&RS="media+center"
    You can search for your self too here:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    I have never heard of any copyrights on UI design, as long as you don't copy artwork (like images) or if there are patents on some special UI design elements.
    I have check your links roughly and it seems to be not critical, means the main concept is not protected

If you start to implement this skin I could assist you on the coding side again. My available time should go up in the coming weeks (at least I hope so).
    I need to complete BV at first and also AO for MP2 is waiting. But I always thought a skin like WMC would be a good idea. Since I'm more designer than coder, it would really need strong coding support.
    So your offer is welcome :) Lot of changes would go to the roots, as new menu models etc. Perhaps you can already think how it could be realized.

Regarding remote navigation I agree. Here we need generally do something in MP2 :(
    Btw. do you use WMC with MyMovies plugin?

Last edited:

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Regarding remote navigation I agree. Here we need generally do something in MP2 :(
    Btw. do you use WMC with MyMovies plugin?
    I have only PowerDVD with it's plugin for BlueRay installed - along with WMC - on my HTPC.
    But I actually never liked PDVD, specially the poor WMC integration.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since i cant click twice on agree i had to comment.

Music and other stuff are really used so far by us, so I would not care if these parts would be a bit different.

If you decide to port the mce ui please do not change the music view. Thats the view i am missing most. :)

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I actually could build an ugly duckling, but working skeleton. A designer like you (@ge2301 ) could then add the shiny effects, artwork and other blinky stuff needed. I also think an optional darker (black/gray) look would work great.
    But before I start I want to continue on the Package Manager.
    And we need to find a suitable name. It should imply that it's an WMC lookalike Skin, but without the "W" in the name I guess. "MC" only is a bit general.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    If you decide to port the mce ui please do not change the music view. Thats the view i am missing most. :)
    there will be some limitations from MP2 structure point of view. But we can try to be as close as possible to WMC I think :)
    I actually could build an ugly duckling, but working skeleton. A designer like you (@ge2301 ) could then add the shiny effects, artwork and other blinky stuff needed.
    Sounds great (y) I was thinking also in this direction. Most important is a base structure at first. The blinky and shiny stuff can be added step by step ;)
    I also think an optional darker (black/gray) look would work great.
    Sure, we can have a darker version, but I think we should also offer a blue version for those users who feel already lost with another color seeting :D
    And we need to find a suitable name. It should imply that it's an WMC lookalike Skin, but without the "W" in the name I guess. "MC" only is a bit general.
    There are several possibilites:
    • NMC = "New MC" or "Next Generation MC"
    • RMC (Revived MC) ;)
    • MC10 = MC for Windows10

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom