WMV and fast forward (1 Viewer)

jriker1

Portal Member
March 15, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After trying several media players, they all work very well with WMV. Obviously that's why I stick with Windows for the built in support. MP is the only media center that seems to have issues and curious what the "player" is that it's using internal? When I fast forward even at 2x for even just 1 second and then switch to play, there is at least 5 seconds where the video is moving in slow motion before it start up again. Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    and curious what the "player" is that it's using internal?
    DirectShow, which is a standard Microsoft media framework.

Thoughts?
    Have you configured MP to use sensible codecs?
    ...and have you configured sensible settings for those codecs?
    Video Codecs

If not, that probably explains what you're seeing.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    wasnt an option during install other than using the lav codec. being a windows computer wouldnt the OS codc be the best? anywa, how do i get this enabled. i dont see any codec settings in my current install but did when in installed the lav codec.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    wasnt an option during install other than using the lav codec.
    Right, because LAV codecs are the ones we recommend... but your computer may have any number of other random codecs from the OS and/or other software.

being a windows computer wouldnt the OS codc be the best?
    In my opinion: no. However it's subjective and dependent on your wants/needs.

anywa, how do i get this enabled. i dont see any codec settings in my current install
    In my previous reply I provided a link to a description of the MediaPortal Configuration section where you select and configure codecs. Did you look at it?

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Yes but they have no settings for wmv container content other than vc1 so not sure where I'd configure for wmv 9 based material.

Edit: forgot to mention this is a fresh win 10 box so no additional codec installed.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Frustrating. I've been tweaking settings, install LAV for good measure even though MP said it was there but didn't show in the plugin list. Can't get it to run the videos without stuttering after pause. As mentioned only app that has this issue and closest solution to what I'm looking for. Of course if you can't play the video cleanly the most useful UI isn't going to be value add. :)

JR

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heya

Sorry for the slow reply. Been a bit busy.

You're right that MP doesn't have a specific codec selection option for WMV. To that end, could you please use the Watchdog tool with option 1 to collect some log files for us. I'd like to check out which codecs MP is actually using etc. etc. etc. when you attempt to play a WMV.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Sorry it took a bit. I just wiped and rebuilt my NUC so is completely clean with fresh MP install. Still stuttering on start of movie or resume from fast forward. See if the attached tells you anything.

Thanks

JR

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The log file shows that MP's playback chain is:
    • splitter: LAV splitter
    • video decoder: LAV video decoder
    • audio decoder: WMAudio Decoder DMO
    • video renderer: Enhanced Video Renderer
    • audio device/renderer: Default DirectSound Device
    My guess is that other DirectShow-based players may use:
    • splitter: WM ASF Reader
    • video decoder: WMVideo Deocder DMO
    • audio decoder: WMAudio Decoder DMO
    • video renderer: Enhanced Video Renderer
    • audio device/renderer: Default DirectSound Device
    Again, I emphasize that this is a complete guess... and furthermore, there's no guarantee that the other software you've tried is even using DirectShow. In particular: WMC and WMP use MediaFoundation instead of DirectShow, and so comparing them to MP would be a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

To be completely honest, I'm not able to confidently say "do such-and-such and it'll solve the problem". I'd have to tinker a bit.

First thing I'd do would be to try to reproduce the problem without the full-blown MP user interface using GraphEdit/GraphStudio (a DirectShow debugging program).
    Releases · cplussharp/graph-studio-next · GitHub

With a tool like that you can manually specify/select each element in the playback chain. This would enable you to replicate MP's playback chain (and by doing so, presumably you'd also replicate the problem that you see when actually using MP) and try other combinations such as the one I listed above (WM ASF reader etc.). Ultimately, if you could find a good combination then it should be possible to configure DirectShow (via the merit system) in such a way that MP would use that combination.

P.S.: what proportion of your video collection is ASF/WMV?
    P.P.S.: the LAV splitter, LAV video and LAV audio codecs all have a "formats" tab which makes it possible to enable/disable support for specific formats such as ASF, WMV and WMA. LAV video's formats tab has an additional "use Microsoft WMV9 DMO decoder for WMV3 and VC-1" option which may be relevant/useful.

jriker1

Portal Member
    March 15, 2016
    Home Country
    Yes, WMV is my only format other than some ASF which should be same deal. Can you see what is in the logs now for decoding things? I changed a bunch of settings thru Codec Tweak tool, and then set a couple settings in MP1. Plus I think the kicker was I switch to Haali Media Splitter for the splitter. Curious though what is happening behind the scenes. Log attached.

Thanks.

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom